Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

project on utilisation of sound energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

indian_tiger

Hello everyone
I was thinking og making a prohect in which i use sound energy and convert it to electrical energy and then use this energy for some electrical purposes like glowing an electrical bulb. I want to ask u all if it is feasible and how can i go abt it so as to make a successful project.
:) :) :) :)

not realy that feasable. put it this way it would cost more in speskers to act as generators than the electric you could produce and tyou would get far more current using solar pannels. mind u it is a cute idea i did do a little led project once but you had to hollar into the 0.2 W speaker to get the let to barley light up. a cuter project would be to power a light with an audio amp with a mic as input. it would make a nice fake candle that would light up to singing ecc. nice for x-mas i thought of it but never did it

Thunderchild said:
not realy that feasable. put it this way it would cost more in speskers to act as generators than the electric you could produce and tyou would get far more current using solar pannels. mind u it is a cute idea i did do a little led project once but you had to hollar into the 0.2 W speaker to get the let to barley light up. a cuter project would be to power a light with an audio amp with a mic as input. it would make a nice fake candle that would light up to singing ecc. nice for x-mas i thought of it but never did it

Thunderchild, would you please show us your schematics?

Thanx.

hm welll the little led thing was part of a 200 in 1 lab will go down the garage and rumage through the hand book the idea og the candle with power amp i had i never even put to paper but i should think a suitably matched power amp ic would do it. well better go get that book

Prior experience showed me that it takes an awful lot of electrical power to make a given amount of sound power - the conversion efficiency is terrible. A very loud sound contains very little actual energy or power - at least very little when you compare it to the power it took to create that sound.

I am looking at a table that shows the sound power of a couple of things -

1. 75 pc orchestra - 10 watts (130 db, re 10E-12 Watts)
2. Large chipping hammer - 1 watt (120 db)
3. Blaring radio - 0.1 watt (110 db)
4. Voice, conversational level - 0.00001 watt (70 db)

There is no mention of distance or other conditions but the reference just helps give you a feel of things.

The implication is that it would take an awful lot of sound to generate very little power. You might do an energy balance - compare what you have as a source to your needs.

Sorry I'm on the run this morning and time doesn't allow me to provide more. Others may be able to elaborate. You might look at specs and data on microphone outputs to get a better sense of what you might accomplish.

this is the diagram from the 200 in 1 lab
the transformer is a 900CT:8 ohm

Attachments

• speaker_to_electricity.gif
    speaker_to_electricity.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 516
I think that rather than actual speakers special vibration thing should be made so that either with a large diafram or connected to something that vibrates a lots something would come of it a number could be put in series

stevez said:
Prior experience showed me that it takes an awful lot of electrical power to make a given amount of sound power - the conversion efficiency is terrible.

That's because speakers are very inefficient, if you use a horn loaded speaker (a proper straight full size one), then the efficiency is MUCH higher. A horn is an acoustic transformer, and matches the mechanical impedance of the speaker to the mechanical impedance of the air.

It depends on the speaker sensitivity (dB with 1 watt input @ 1 metre away) I would have thought? A 92dB speaker is a lot louder than an 85dB one fed with the same power input. I assume it works the same when they generate power from sound. But as pointed out, the generated power is tiny as our ears are very sensitive and even tiny vibrations are percieved as "loud".

Woofer speaker, fixed inside a bass-drum is good for lighting an LED.
A 2 lead Dual color LED lights up quite well!

There is a lot of sound energy in a bass drum, and a woofer is good for picking it up with as its responsive to low frequencies. Engineers have used speakers as microphones for bass drums and bass amplifiers in the past.

so what if i bolt some woofers to my printing machine at work is that going to make enough power to run it ?

err. JOKE but they are really noisy machines

Low frequency noise (vibrations) have better production. The Bass drum and a woofer will sympathetically resonate with each other. If the coupling is tight enough ( we streached the bass-drum over the speaker, forming a resonant cavity.
Apart from some weird sound effects and goose-pimples, The dual led did dance nicely with both colors red and green (AC !)
Higher Audio freq nort good .

Try this: 1. clamp a Hack-saw bladeto a 2x2 block.
2. Pull out the solenoid in a relay and fix it below the free end of the blade.
3. Find a Hard disk and murder it for the magnets. Fix the magnet to the relaycoil iron core, at the bottom.
4. connect a dual Led , 2 leads to the coil terminals.
5. Twang the blade, making sure it doesnt touch the coil iron.

6. Watch and have fun :lol: :lol:

We also have some great Piezo Fan blades. Substitute a 2"x6" ( LO! the Cost!!) for the saw blade and twang. You may well burn out the led!!

Thunderchild said:
sounds like you been doing experiments any more tips to share ?
This was some time ago: 20yrs :) the dual led was a little recent. These are part of my school teaching experiments.

Thunderchild said:
well you certainly did a better school than me
wish it was true, but I did'nt :(
The schools I teach at do! These are part of my teaching-aids to get the kids interested in science. Physics, in particular :!: It also makes me the pied piper!!

Recreate the famous Japanese "war tuba"!
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back