Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse Reader Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganz

Hello everyone,

I'm using a microcontroller that just doesn't have enough pins. I know I could get a bigger one but I was wondering if there were any other solutions.
I am running a few LED bulbs as well as a LCD numeric 4 digit display.

I don't know if this exists but I was hoping there was a component that reads a pulse and then based on that pulse, sets one of the output pins high. So say the microcontroller sends out a pulse of 100 kHz, then the component would read that pulse and know to output a high voltage to a certain pin (which I would connect my LED bulbs to so I could consolidate pins).
If something like that exists, I would love to know about it.

If you have any other suggestions to consolidate pins, please let me know.

If I understand your question, you want to send different frequencies from a single pin and have each frequency turn on a different LED or other action.

An easy way would be to use an LM567 tone decoder, which were used in old telephones (https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm567.pdf). Reed relays, which were tuned to different frequencies, were also used. You might have a hard time finding them today.

My first choice, though, would be a chip with more port pins, particularly since you already are using an mcu.

John

You could perhaps use one pin to clock a CD4017 counter and a second pin to reset the counter. That would give you ten outputs (albeit usable only one at a time without additional latches) for the price of 2 pins. Of course you would have to whip through the unwanted outputs before getting to the wanted output, but simple low-pass filtering could overcome any undesirable effect of that.

If I understand your question, you want to send different frequencies from a single pin and have each frequency turn on a different LED or other action.

An easy way would be to use an LM567 tone decoder, which were used in old telephones (https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm567.pdf). Reed relays, which were tuned to different frequencies, were also used. You might have a hard time finding them today.

My first choice, though, would be a chip with more port pins, particularly since you already are using an mcu.

John
Is there a microcontroller that you recommend? I am using the atmega16m1-au. Basically I want an upgrade from this that has more pins.

How about a 4094 shift register.

.... or you could control 8 outputs using 4 pins and a 74HC238 (3-to-8 line decoder).

well, how bout running 2 leds with 1 pin, kind of like "charlie plexxing" . don't know much of how many you are using? Check it out on WIKIPEDIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back