Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

push button number display

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuit dog

hello im trying to make a circuit board that will let me wire 14 buttons to it that will display 00-39 on a two digit readout. so a set of 4(wires) with 0-3 and 10(wires) with 0-9. so what do i need to convert lets say button that displays (9) to translate to displaying number nine on the display( Kwi-561asa) i found what the 10 pins do on the display but dont know what i need to wire them up and act the way i need them too.

so its not a counter its more of a push button and display this number type thing. example i want to show number 20 so i use 2 buttons a (2)and a(0).

im new to this and would like to know if you guys know if there is a chip that does this already or what do i need.

Thanks in advance

Quickly thinking about it, I know three choices:
1) Microcontroller
2) 1K 8 bit EPROM with two 7447 BCD seven segment display drivers
3) Use two pairs of 74147 and a 7447.

Option 1: Self explanatory

Assuming push-on/push-off pushbuttons:
Option 2: I have done this and is a pretty intersting use of an EPROM. You'll need one with 14 bit input and 8 bit storage. You'll encode the 14 bits in to correspond with two four bit outputs. For example, 11 would be 0001 00000 00001 input (memory address) and 0001 0001 out (value). For 27, 0010 00000 00010 input (memory address) and 0010 0111 output (value).

Option 3: The simpliest. The 74147 is a decimal to BCD encoder and the 7447 is a BCD to seven segment display driver. You'll need two pairs, one pair for each digit.

If they're momentary push buttons, then you'll need to set up two latches (74573) and or each of the input lines to a one shot to drive the clock signal. The 74573 outputs can then be used to drive the encoder and driver circuitry of options 2 or 3.

Last edited:
ok found this

**broken link removed**
ok on the top it says R pull-up10k what is that i know the symbol is resistor. but which one? then in teh middle there is the triangle with the dot i looked that up and it means inverter but which one should i get. then finally at the far right there are some more resistors i get the ohmn part but is that 7% tolrence i can only find 5% in that Ω also what wattage should these all be?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back