question about Exar 16C554D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadjad

I'm working on a 1-4 baud rate converter with some special features. I was offered to use the Exar 16C554D, now I'm faced with some questions that datasheet didn't have any answer for them.
the questions are:
1) Do all 4 output ports operate with each other at the same time or not?
2) If yes, how its possible to define different baud rates for each output ports?

If anybody has used the 16C554D, please tell me for more contacts!

sadjad said:
1) Do all 4 output ports operate with each other at the same time or not?
2) If yes, how its possible to define different baud rates for each output ports?

If anybody has used the 16C554D, please tell me for more contacts!

Hi,
1) Yes each channel is independent and can be used separate.

2) You program the baudrate for each channel as described in the datasheet. You need to 'open' the special baud rate parameter registers with bit7 in LCR, as described in note2. If your X-tal is different from the 2 examples in the table you need to compute the correct values yourself. Please note that the clock is 16 times the resulting baudrate.

Note also that the 8 registers described in the datasheet is duplicated for each channel. How this is done I can't tell you exactly, because this is done with the hardware design of your board.

However, if it is as described in the datasheet you'll have ch.A from 0 to 7, ch. B from 8 - F, ch. C from 10 - 17 and ch. D from 18 -1F in your UART selected address space. But check it out with your hardware.

Datasheet: **broken link removed**

TOK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…