Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about Serial port radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I'm just preparing a project but I think I've very small amount of information to start with.

The project I'm trying to design is like a radio modem. I want a device, similar to a fm radio, connected to computer's serial port. With a software that I can program, I can send information throught that radio transceiver to another radio transceiver. In the "receiver" part, the information is received by the hardware(radio) that is connected also to the serial port, and the software reads the data from the serial port and it's shown in the software.

I thought to do that thing using morse code to transmit data, but making some calculations that way I think it's extremely low.

So I want to hear opinions and ideas about how can I accomplish that.

**broken link removed**

Motorola used to make an RF modem that would suit your design. I'll post some info when I find the one of the two I have...

It does, of course, take two of them with some manner of PC/serial device at both ends.

<EDIT> OK, it's a Motorola RNet 9600.

Some info on it:

https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mars/rovercom/radio.html

Last edited:
Have a look at this, might be ehat you want:

**broken link removed**

There's a few "instructable" type things ont he net where people are using those cheap 315/433MHz RF modules (you can get on ebay for a few dollars) to send data between two serial devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back