Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions leading to small project (Laser Vortex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norritt

Hello Everyone!
I am definitely a beginner in this field. This is strange for me, because I am usually the one answering all the questions on other forums. So let me just lay out what I think I know and what I want to do. Maybe some of you can guide me towards a good design.

I recently bought a nice >5mW green laser. It is very bright and I am using to create a little laser light show. My first project was the Laser Vortex (www.instructables.com). This was easy and consisted of a small motor, switch and 3v 500mA DC power supply. Point the laser at a mirror that is attached to the motor, and you get a nice laser cone (hence the laser vortex).

Now my second and bit more ambitious project is to create a 2 motor/mirror system, whereby the laser is reflected in a cone from one rotating mirror to another rotating mirror. The result is kind-of a spirograph pattern that varies with the speed of each motor.

So after completing my first project I assumed I knew what I was doing, and I wired up 2 motors, and my laser all to the same little 3v 500mW PS.
The result? Either the laser was on, or the motors were on.
If I have one motor on, it runs at full speed. When I turn on the second motor, they both run at half speed.

I am still struggling with the relationships between voltage, amperage, and resistance. I think what is happening in my second project, is that there is not enough current (500mA) to run all three devices.
Here are the specs for the 3 devices:
Laser: 3v < 250mA
Motors: 1.5-3v 500mA

Now ideally I want to wire all three devices to the same power supply. I could get a large one, but I am not sure I can accurately convert the numbers so that I don’t burn out my laser.

Time for a few questions:

Do I need a DC - DC transformer along with a higher voltage power supply?
OR
Do I need a power supply with more current (3v @ 1 - 1.5 A)?

Once I can power all three devices, how should they be wired together? (This may not be an appropriate question at this time)

I also plan on making the 2 motors variable speed using a couple of potentiometers, but I am not sure that this is the right option.

This is my ideal setup:

DC Power supply
One Toggle switch for the laser
Two Potentiometers (one for each motor)

I appreciate any help that you are willing to provide, and I also greatly appreciate any links or other useful information sources that you can direct me towards. I am nosing around Wikipedia trying to get a handle on the basics.
This seems like an extremely basic project considering the others I have seen on here (please don’t bash me just yet, I’m still learning!)

Thanks!!!
N

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back