Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radioactive Tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that somebody else has discovered they have Uranium glaze tile in their house.
What is amusing is how much stuff is radioactive.

Some friends and I have now turned it into a bit of a competition to see who can find the most stuff, the hottest stuff, the coolest stuff and the most unusual.

Uranium glass is quite common. Most of it is very low activity, but some pieces are reasonably radioactive. Green is the most common colour, yellow less so and some strange blues and black.

There are a lot of glazes that we're finding that are also radioactive. There is a variety of colours. Fiesta ware is quite rare in Australia, so it's not common to see it here. Some items do have orange glazes which are quite radioactive. Yellow and Brown glazes also appear to be quite common. Other colours that are active are harder to find.

Uranium glazes appear to be a good way to date the period of an item. Uranium glazes are common on items made before 1930.
A lot of Uranium glass appears to have been made in the 1920's and 30's.

Radium is common on old watches. I'm not sure when it's use stopped. A lot of WW2 radio equipment still used it. Some radios, dials and even switches are amazingly active.
I'm guessing that it's use stopped some time in the 1960s on aircraft dials.

Promethrium appears to have been used for a while before tritium became popular.
I'm working towards trying to find watches and meters which used it.

There is no shortage of other radioactive treasure out there. A quick search of collectors in the USA shows an amazing amount of cool stuff they have found.

Uranium glazes are rarely used these days, but we've noticed that some items coming out of china are now slightly radioactive. It appears the glazes they are using come from areas with a higher radioactivity in the soil.

I've attached a file with some of the treasure we've found.

Attachments

• Radioactive stuff.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back