Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rate my site: Electronic Hobbyist!

What do you think of Electronic Hobbyist?

• I really enjoy the website! Keep it up!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think it is pretty cool, keep working on it.

• I don't Care for it much.

• It needs to be fixed up.

• It is a god awful peice of Burnt up Hard Drive!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a dynamic ip, but it doesn't change very often...

i would like a static ip, though. that way i could setup some remote access devices, such as over-the-net electrical outlets and whatnot.

I do not think that is the case for people with static IP addresses. I would have to call my provider and request a change.
Usually you only have a static address if you want to run a server and then, via DNS lookup, your IP address is usually public knowledge anyway.
blueroomelectronics said:
Try using a free Dynamic DNS service.
I wish I could do that. Well I can but it's useless because my ISP blocks all the TCP, FTP, etc ports so I can't run a server. I would have liked to put a PIC on the net but I'm not gonna pay an extra $40 a month to do it.

my isp sucks. Too bad it is the only way i can get internet... :(

WILDBLUE SUCKS!!!!!! I have almost hit my FAP (fair access policy), again for the 5th time! I am only allowed 7.5GB per rolling 30 days. The salesman lied to us, and said we got 10GB per rolling 30 days... I can't wait for college. Full access to full T1 (during the night)...

My ISP rocks apart from bandwidth throttling on Torrent downloads - if I need a Linux or Xbox distro its a nightmare.

Apart from that they have given me excellent service and support.

Krumlink, your site is very nice. More design than I ever put into mine:
**broken link removed**
Made that on my Macbook in under ten minutes; it handles all of the nitty-gritty because I don't like HTML very much.

As for the IP stuff, my ISP has dynamic...I think. My IP changed for the first time about a month ago; we've had the same one for almost four years. I was never able to flush a new IP through my Mac or PC -- even removed the router to get direct modem access and reset it. Oh well.

Marks256 said:
my isp sucks. Too bad it is the only way i can get internet... :(

WILDBLUE SUCKS!!!!!! I have almost hit my FAP (fair access policy), again for the 5th time! I am only allowed 7.5GB per rolling 30 days. The salesman lied to us, and said we got 10GB per rolling 30 days... I can't wait for college. Full access to full T1 (during the night)...
At my school we have direct fiber-optic to copper in our dorm rooms. LAN speed tops out at around 30MB/s and I'm unhappy if my internet speed drops under 1MB/s. I'm sad to be home because the fastest I can get at home is ~580K/s (5Mbps line).

i would KILL for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uuuuuuuhghhghghghgggghghhghgh FIBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MOHAHAHAHAHA. :D I get 65KB/s at home here, and about 250KB/s at my high school, right next to the main router and server(s).

I can't wait for college.... Girls, electronics, high speed internet, more girls, and even more internet! oh, and other people LIKE ME! :)

At 30MB/s you could probably download a illegal copy of HL2 in about 5 minutes :D

i don't need an illegal copy of HL2. I actually bought that. Although the ability would be tempting.... :p Steam makes it pretty pointless to download an illegal copy anyways.

My friends brother lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota (very large city here in the states for all your people on the other side of the world), and he was able to download a full ~680MB linux distro in about 15 minutes. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!! His ISP throttles P2P, though. :( I wish i could figure out HTTP tunneling...

Did your computer explode? :D

What is your comp running?

Probably Winblows Pista.

Hero999 said:
Probably Winblows Pista.
Bah. Can't stand it.

Specs:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (939...:( )
Geforce 7950GT OC w/512MB DDR3
2GB Corsair XMS Dual channel DDR
2x250GB Western Digital SATA-2
1x500GB Western Digital SATA-2
LiteOn DVD Burner
Generic Media Reader
Windows XP Professional with SP2
...all housed in my new Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 case (Christmas present...one of my only ones. :D :D )

I've attached some pics of the case (found on the internet); it has 9 5.25" bays exposed, and space for up to 9 120mm fans. All aluminum, heavy, and has casters to roll it around on. Perfect for a nerdy kid like me.:D

Attachments

• 2528-door.jpg
    2528-door.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 2528-1300s.jpg
    2528-1300s.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 221
  • comp16_7.jpg
    comp16_7.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 265
I have only used vi$ta once. that was at a lan party when the host had me install it on his laptop. it was an insainly painstaking task to install the damn os.

The only thing i don't like about my shuttle is the fact that heat is an issue. I would have gotten an Athlon 6000 64 x2, but some of the customer reviews on newegg said that the 5600 is about all my shuttle system could handle. i would have been about $50 more to get a better shuttle, and i was short on cash at the time... I also wish i had a 5.25" bay open for a HD cooler. Sure, i could use a 3.5" HD cooler, but i want a 5.25. Currently my HD is un-cooled. :( I would be very sad if it crashed... Too many important files.

My USB 250GB FreeAgent HD is ok for backups, but i don't trust it all that much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back