Rates/salaries for electronics assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrodude

Trying to figure out what are the going rates (in the US) for electronics assembly work. Some SMT, some thru-hole. Anyone on either end of this care to shed some light?

Thanks.

In Canada, I got pcb's made at a place that was full of Oriental kids and women. I think the kids did the work and the women were their mothers and took care of them.
I don't know how many weekly bowls of rice they were paid in, but the quality was excellent.

Electrodude

Please go to your profile and add your location..

I can tell you, in the US, I do not think you will like the prices..

Are you providing the PCBs and parts? We need more details.

If no PCB, what is the size of it. Parts list? That tells us if there are BAD parts that take extra work, etc..

He isn't asking about prices. he is asking about the salaries or wage for people who manufacture PCBs.

Sorry, they said going rates? I thought they were tring to shop for prices as they also said "some" SMT and "some" thru hole..

I need a job and I can do some SMT and some thru-hole.

Yes, I was referring to rates I would pay someone to do the labor for me for prototypes, and low-volume products. I am not soliciting CEMs with this post.

If they are doing the PCBs, you will need to have a size. Also a parts list. Best to call a couple places. I know of one in Clearwater Florida I can get you the number. But all my boards are done in the garage. I called a couple months ago for a friend to get some boards done. Small ones. You have to by a sheet, if you want 1 or 200 you pay the full price.. It was not cheap, so we went back to by hand.

Let me clarify.... I have the boards, the parts, etc, and I am planning on hiring one or more people to pick up some assembly from me, as I do not have the time. I am trying to determine appropriate/fair rates to pay them for just the labor. I expect that the rates may be higher for small SMT, so I am looking for suggestions such as through-hole assembly gets $xx/hr and basic SMT gets $yy/hr.

The person doing the assembly will work out of their own place and on their own time. I do not want to use CEMs for this, as they would go through a lengthy formal process for each unit and that's not great for low-volume or single-quantity boards. I am using CEMs for higher-volume products.

The person I hire would use would become a regular trusted source that I can periodically drop off the boards and parts and get back assembled boards in a few days.

Thanks.

You probably want to search the local area first. Maybe google "your_city pcb assembly" first. Otherwise you add shipping cost and time.

I would have looked, but you have no location in your profile.

I think PapaBravo mentioned like $13.50/hr range.

Exactly. I'm hoping to get other numbers as well. I have a couple candidates already -- this is well suited to the college student types.

electrodude said:
Exactly. I'm hoping to get other numbers as well. I have a couple candidates already -- this is well suited to the college student types.

I imagine Papabravo's figures are what people get paid as employees on a production line? - doing it as a self-employed person would obviously require considerably more per hour, or more likely a fixed amount per unit.

electrodude said:
this is well suited to the college student types.

A company where I worked some years ago would take on a student for the summer.
Management in their infinite wisdom would assign the student to do some task associated with a project which was already running late.
Due to a total lack of ability/experience on the part of the student, the completed job was not fit for purpose, requiring the materials to be bought again and an experienced guy to sort out the mess.

From several summers of this pantomime, the saying arose:

"Dont give anything to a student which you are not prepared to scrap and re-build"

JimB

Surely the saying should have been:

"Never let management assign people to jobs"

It seems stupid beyond belief to assign an inexperienced student, with limited time, to complete a project which was already running late - presumably because it's either very difficult, being approached the wrong way, or the previous people were incompetent and messed it up!.

I'm presuming the student wasn't allowed to scrap what HE was presented with, but had to try and make sense of the probably bodged mess he was given?.

As you can probably guess, I HATE being presented with jobs that someone else has already messed up!

I worked for a place for 15 years, they downsized (many years ago), and they paid me for 9 month to get 8 projects to 90%, we had to define 90% and I was paid well, in the giant facility (where all were laid-off) to get them to 90%. I would not move to Ogdensburg N.Y.. Last I heard, they scraped all but 2 or 3 projects. So you are not the only one Nigel.

Some where very complex, and I told them I was not going to train someone. The code was documented, there was a functional spec, design spec, high level code, etc..

But I was paid...

And yes, they were given to techs they hired for a lot less.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I'm presuming the student wasn't allowed to scrap what HE was presented with, but had to try and make sense of the probably bodged mess he was given?.

It is not that the student had an existing mess to sort out, he just had to build/wire up part of the equipment cabinet.
He did not have the experience to do a good job of it.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…