Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC output circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanTech

Hi there

I would like to connect my serial port to a jr2610 RC remote, trainer input jack. The input requires 6.2V. I'm planning on using the DTR pin.

If I drop the serial port voltage to 6.2V, should I just place a resistor in series to the DTR pin of the serial port output or should I form a voltage divider network. If so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance
JeanTech

There is so much variation in RS232 ports, that you will have to do it by trial and error. Some RS232 outputs swing from -15V to +15V, while others just swing from 0V to +3V.

typically, voltage dividers are required to drop the voltage level. Series resistors are not a good solution.

Last edited:
My serial port output 15V. How do I implement a voltage divider network to drop the volts to 6.2V?

Thanks in advance

My serial port output 15V. How do I implement a voltage divider network to drop the volts to 6.2V?

Thanks in advance

Does it put out -15V and +15V?

Do you want -6.2V and +6.2V ? OR do you want 0V and +6.2V?

What power supplies do you have access to?

Is one of the terminals of the power supply common to the RS232 Port ground?

Do you know what an Opto-isolator is?

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Yes my serial port outputs 15V and -15V. I would like 0 to 6.2V out. My rs232 has common gnd that I intend to use as ground for the other source, which is a jr2610 rc remote. I know what an opto-isolator is, but I've never used one yet.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Yes my serial port outputs 15V and -15V. I would like 0 to 6.2V out. My rs232 has common gnd that I intend to use as ground for the other source, which is a jr2610 rc remote. I know what an opto-isolator is, but I've never used one yet.

Thanks in advance

Since it is ok to have the common ground, here is how I would do it:

Attachments

• Dr86.png
    Dr86.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back