Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading a vessel capacity from a 4-20ma sender

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

Hi
I would like to ask for your advise. I have a vessel of a capacity of 15000lit. I want to display the amount of the liquid inside on a display. I was told by Sick sensors that they have a sensor that can do that and it provides a 4-20ma output. how can I combine it with a display and other device, if needed in order to get a visual reading?
Thanks.

Convert 4 to 20mA to a voltage like 0 to 1V. There have been lots of previous threads about how to do this on these forums. Use the search function to find them.

Here is a simple opamp circuit that converts 4...20mA to 0V...1.5V. Reason I picked 1.5V full scale is because you can buy inexpensive digital multimeters that display 1.999V full scale, so 1.500V would be 15000 liters. You will need a low voltage opamp whose common-mode range includes ground and whose output pulls to very near ground, plus a few 1% resistors. The 5V supply should be stable to a few mV.

Attachments

• DF59.jpg
    DF59.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Thanks for the circuit, I'll try it. if I'm not wrong, I can buy a digital panel voltmeter module with an 1.999v fsd. could you recommend which ic to use?

For breadboarding, I would use a LM358 because I have lots, and it will work well enough. There are hundreds of better CMOS rail-to-rail in-out opamps available today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back