Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Real difference: 16F628 and 16F628A

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblc1388

I read from the Microchip website that the 16F628 has one 8-bit and two 16-bit timers, while the 628A has two 8-bit and one 16-bit timers.

16 Family product chart

However, I looked very carefully at their datasheet but could not found any difference on description on Timer 0,1 & 2.

So, what is the real difference between these two chips?

eblc1388 said:
I read from the Microchip website that the 16F628 has one 8-bit and two 16-bit timers, while the 628A has two 8-bit and one 16-bit timers.

16 Family product chart

However, I looked very carefully at their datasheet but could not found any difference on description on Timer 0,1 & 2.

So, what is the real difference between these two chips?
The difference is pretty small:

Attachments

• 16f628-16f628a.jpg
    16f628-16f628a.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 4,205
Thanks Jay. Is the table you have posted hidding somewhere in the datasheet?

So Microchip site wrong about the timers?

eblc1388 said:
Thanks Jay. Is the table you have posted hidding somewhere in the datasheet?

So Microchip site wrong about the timers?
There is a Special Migration Data Datasheet, Search Microchip for 40048a. And yes, If they say what you wrote then they are wrong... Everything is in that Datasheet. 8)

BTW Did I mention that I love PICs? :lol:

BTW, shouldn't the difference also be included in the 628A datasheet because it would be a logical place to put it.

Jay.slovak said:

Yes, we all know.

But you will never know the real difference between othe uCs and PICs if you don't try them. That's why many people like to have a lover, in addition to a partner.

I like the 8051 but I'm also learning the PIC now.

My first conclusion is not to go for the least component programmer or one that "steals" power from the ports. A proper programmer with voltage regulator can save a lot of time. Will go for one with the parallel port design.

eblc1388 said:
Jay.slovak said:

Yes, we all know.

But you will never know the real difference between othe uCs and PICs if you don't try them. That's why many people like to have a lover, in addition to a partner.

I like the 8051 but I'm also learning the PIC now.

My first conclusion is not to go for the least component programmer or one that "steals" power from the ports. A proper programmer with voltage regulator can save a lot of time. Will go for one with the parallel port design.
Well PICs are not the first MCUs I am in contact with. I was learning x51 for a while, but then I dropped it and switched to PICs. And for programmer, read the USB programmers topic, where I uploaded (crapy) scheme of my ICD2 (powered from adapter ofcourse).

Jay.slovak said:
I was learning x51 for a while, but then I dropped it and switched to PICs.

It is difficult to run out of stack with X51 and you can have different interrupts and subroutines working at the same time. I always do not understand why there is only 8-level stack. It does not have to be many more, 16 is very very much better.

And for programmer, read the USB programmers topic, where I uploaded (crapy) scheme of my ICD2 (powered from adapter ofcourse).

Problem with USB is the need to generate the HV needed for HV programming, software availability and upgrade and a special chip needed to do the hardware interfacing between PC and programmer.

eblc1388 said:
Jay.slovak said:
And for programmer, read the USB programmers topic, where I uploaded (crapy) scheme of my ICD2 (powered from adapter ofcourse).

Problem with USB is the need to generate the HV needed for HV programming, software availability and upgrade and a special chip needed to do the hardware interfacing between PC and programmer.
If you read the topic, you will see my scheme has a normal Adapter (15V) and is NOT USB connected... It is using standart Serial connection with PC.

Basically the 628A is just a later silicon revision of the 628, as the 84A was of the 84. Unlike the 877A (which is FLASH) the 628A is still an EEPROM device, as the Migration document shows, the differences are very slight.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Basically the 628A is just a later silicon revision of the 628, as the 84A was of the 84. Unlike the 877A (which is FLASH) the 628A is still an EEPROM device, as the Migration document shows, the differences are very slight.

Hi Nigel please clicks the link I posted earlier which takes you to the Microchip website.

On there it said 628 & 628A are standard flash device. They are wrong about Timers on these chips. Wrong again?

Jay.slovak said:
you will see my scheme has a normal Adapter (15V) and is NOT USB connected... It is using standart Serial connection with PC.

Because you mentioned USB programmers topics, I thought you meant a programmer connected to the USB.

Now I know. You meant the USB Programmers "thread" in this forum.

eblc1388 said:
On there it said 628 & 628A are standard flash device. They are wrong about Timers on these chips. Wrong again?

MicroChip followed Atmel, in advertising their EEPROM devices as FLASH, FLASH has become a popular buzz word - and is incorrectly used by most manufacturers.

AFAIK, the first 'FLASH' devices from MicroChip were the 16F876A and 16F877A - and they use a different programming algorythm to the normal EEPROM devices, since those there are a number of other true FLASH PIC's as well, but the 16F628A uses the normal EEPROM algorythm.

Basically, 'FLASH' is mostly used as an advertising ploy, it sells more devices than correctly calling them 'EEPROM'.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Basically, 'FLASH' is mostly used as an advertising ploy, it sells more devices than correctly calling them 'EEPROM'.

Agree. I also checked the F877A and they use the term "Enhanced Flash" to describe its memory.

So enhanced is just Flash. :lol:

eblc1388 said:
Jay.slovak said:
you will see my scheme has a normal Adapter (15V) and is NOT USB connected... It is using standart Serial connection with PC.

Because you mentioned USB programmers topics, I thought you meant a programmer connected to the USB.

Now I know. You meant the USB Programmers "thread" in this forum.
Yep, sorry for missunderstnading 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back