Recommendation needed for reliable, cost effective GPS chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectronicsKid

Hello Gurus,

Hope everyone is doing fine. I am looking for some feedback/recommendation for the right GPS chip/circuit to be added to a device i am designing. Any recommendation for popular GPS chips?

Below given criterias are considered in selection:
  1. Reliable (Should work without any issue for next 2-3 years)
  2. Cost effective
  3. Smaller in size
  4. Can be interfaced/connected to a circuit which has microcontroller
Any feedback on this will be of great help for me.

Regards
Don

1 - barring anything out of the ordinary, they'll be as reliable as you make the surrounding enclosure, provide it with decent power, and generally just stay within manufacturers specs.
2. define cost effective.
3. Define small
4. They can all be connected to an MCU in one way or another. No one way is best depending on the application.

How about you point out some modules that you are thinking about using, and those in the know might be able to point out positive and negatives of each.

Since you are a beginner with all this embedded electronics stuff, I would just go with this (or similar) module designed for arduino.. maybe you should even use Arduino as your microcontroller, if the hardware is not too big and heavy. And even if it is too big or heavy, it is still a good starting point for prototyping.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10710

Edit: Oh, sorry. The above "module" is just an adapter board for the actual GPS receiver.
This one: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12751
Both are "popular" so you will have lots of support by "google". I would buy the board also, it looks handy for prototyping. Lots of pads to solder your own thingies, and place for external antenna.

Then there is this document: GPS Buying Guide

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I am using Adruino Uno as microcontroller.
I am considering some of below listed GPSs as of now. Any recommendation from these or any other preference?

1.PMB-248
2.PMB-648
3.Adruino GPS shield
4.Vincotech A1080-B
5.EM-506
6.EM 406A

All these option are costlier than my budget i think. I prefer something below 20 $ if possible.

Regards
Don

I've used GPS modules that I've gotten for below $20USD. Garbage, if they worked at all.
In my view, the -648 is about as cheap as you're going to get and still get decent reliability. Not to say the others are better or worse. I've used all but the Vinotech. The -648 just worked...every time.
But, if you want to go the ebay route, and spend money twice or more times on faulty GPS modules, well, nobody is going to stop you...

That was helpful. I will go for 648 as of now. I could find some more GPS options in net which i have listed below. Any input on these?

1.GlobalTop Technology Inc. FGPMMOPA6H

2.**broken link removed**

3.**broken link removed**

4.**broken link removed**
Regards
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…