Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Registry Problems. Windows and Mcafee are like Brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I spent hrs editing this registry. I couldn't get all the virus software out using auto add & remove programs.

I manually removed them.

Mcafee was the worse. my daughter loaded a Legacy Enterprise product which most likely was a free one or something and I had to change permissions on the damn thing.

Each one was done by changing permissions until I get to the "Legacy Framework Enterprise" entry and I was blocked. I was going to try going in under Command prompt but I didn't know how to do that.

I went out and rebooted the system without System Restore on and went back in and it was gone ? I installed another free copy of "Mcafee" from the school and now it's doing great. So far.

Anyway. I only have 256 loaded for ram and it was being eaten by all the virus software and needed a thermometer it was sick.

I think I've ranted about this many times before. AV software has caused me more problems than viruses in the past so I've stopped using it.

No doubt many people will now respond recommending an alternative product in good faith but it won't be much better.

The only time you need AV software is for scanning the odd program you've downloaded. It doesn't have to be running in the background, eating memory, CPU cycles and hogging Internet bandwidth to download updates.

If you can find a good free AV product which can be configured not to run in the background and only download updates when you tell it to, I'd be interested. I use ClamWin AV which I know doesn't have excellent detection rates but I like it because it doesn't do realtime scanning.

EDIT:
Have you looked into upgrading the RAM?

You could probably do that very cheaply. A few months ago, I upgraded my old PC rom 256MB to 512MB for £1.

Last edited:
I think I've ranted about this many times before. AV software has caused me more problems than viruses in the past so I've stopped using it.

No doubt many people will now respond recommending an alternative product in good faith but it won't be much better.

The only time you need AV software is for scanning the odd program you've downloaded. It doesn't have to be running in the background, eating memory, CPU cycles and hogging Internet bandwidth to download updates.

If you can find a good free AV product which can be configured not to run in the background and only download updates when you tell it to, I'd be interested. I use ClamWin AV which I know doesn't have excellent detection rates but I like it because it doesn't do realtime scanning.

EDIT:
Have you looked into upgrading the RAM?

You could probably do that very cheaply. A few months ago, I upgraded my old PC rom 256MB to 512MB for £1.

Yeah I'm just lazy the only thing this computer is good for is surf the net.

I also removed the HP software that was bloating everything it's also outdated 4 yrs old.

Now day's devices are outdated in like 3 months this thing is ancient compared to other's.

XP I can edit the registry. Vista I'm told is a pain.

Last edited:
Plus this version of Mcafee from the school isn't like the one my daughter had on it is only 20.73mb. Software conflicts do more damage to systems than needed.

People download all the free versions, they leave crap in the registry. They only come out the way I did it. Mcafee wasn't the only one, entry's like Avast and Avert and Symantec plus some I've never heard?

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't use any virus software. Instead I just back everything up the whazoo.

Yeah, I don't use any virus software. Instead I just back everything up the whazoo.

In addition to editing the registry I also turn the auto update to tell me and and I can allow it.

Then I told windows don't tell me I don't have virus software. Geeze.

I have auto update turned off too, I don't even have the notifications on, I just update every week.

In the past when I used Norton and similarly bloated AV-Ware, not once did I get notified of any 'problem' until my license was a week away from renewal....then the klaxons sounded quite regularly.

This is how I've got mine set now.

And, why can't they have a server based solution in the clouds.

That will run scans when I ask it too? That way it's not on my computer.

Attachments

• security center..JPG
    security center..JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I think that will warn you when there are updates and only install them when you ask it to.

I've got mine set not to nag me at all but I have to remember to check every now and then.

Attachments

• Windows update s&#10.png
    Windows update s&#10.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 163
Hero999 said:
I think that will warn you when

I like that because if it weren't for my wife and a good scheduling application in my phone I wouldn't remember anything seriously.

One time I had to make a deposit and I had a bag full of cash $6,000 us; this was back when my business was successful. Anyhow, I left it right on the console with the doors unlocked in the downtown district.

I was freaking out when I got a block away and realized what I did and hurried back to lock the door and put it under the seat. ( I'm sort of like the Professor in "Flubber" I screwed up again scene )

Last edited:
Recent issues with mcafee if no one here on the forum are using mcafee.

Well it happened again. My machine is freaking out right now.

Tried to find and post a url but couldn't weird. I know there is something happening with Firefox it's not working after system restore but holy crap this is bad. ( Funny how Exlpoder is working and not Firefox, Yeah hello I think that is suspicious )

Mcafee has locked it's claws around the operating system and is controlling all aspects of it's environment.

I think ? So, if this is a Virus or trojan and there not saying it's going to ruin a number of computer's.

I'm ready to hose the home computer soon. I never have to system restore for anything and I don't think it's a viable fix either.

Edit: After I edited the registry it was doing great until this recent update from the GD Updater, freaking hell you kidding me ?

Last edited:
The recent McAffee issue is that is falsely detecting srvchost.exe as a virus, quarantining it, and of course causing the system to die afterword. It's a HUGE blunder on their part.

Do you know if the fix is the latest dat 5959 or do they have something else; I loaded the fix off my thumb and ran an update but I forgot to check the current dat first.

Last edited:
The recent McAffee issue is that is falsely detecting srvchost.exe as a virus, quarantining it, and of course causing the system to die afterword. It's a HUGE blunder on their part.

This update problem only affects the Commercial version of the product and not the normal retail version.

So, I yanked out Mcafee in doing so I did exactly them same thing as before which was to edit the registry.

Last time it was no problem but now I have this error "Error 2718 Missing package name for product code"

It will backbite me when opening the browser. It doesn't always happen when I navagate to another page.

The fix I can find is to edit slections for startup in msconfig. But, it is only for startup issue's.

If I remove that name line, in the registry :funny thing is: when I start the browser it just replaces it. When I go back, there it is again?

I'll have to fdisk if I can't fix it. It just seems better to fix it than to go to that much trouble. I can't find a free registry program that doesn't cost money. They hook you by saying well we fix 2 of your problems but you'll need to buy the product licence to use the whole program. Ha forget it. fyou and say I did and fdisk to you.

With a good backup of course:)

Edit: Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Whenever I build a computer, I use (a program) to make a back-up disk as soon as I have the OS installed and working. After all the mistakes I make, all the WTF that somehow accumulates, and if I should ever get a virus, I stick the disk in and I'm back to day one in about 10 minutes. I also make 7 partitions and add backups during the first week or two so I can go back to a level that has my internet conncetion, my Off ice programs, my printer, and stuff like that. Of course, one partition is for my personal files that I don't want to whack when I install the back-up copy. The result is that I don't know how to muck about in the registry, because I've never needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back