Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relay contact problem with remote control gate opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

chansen1963

hi, I have riged up a 12V remote control 4x4 winch as a gate opener. The mechanicals work fine, and open the sliding gate nicely. The rpoblem I am experiencing, is that the relays used seem to wear out the contact about every 6-8 months. The gate is operated at least twice a day , and I think that the 4x4 Winch is not designed for such frequent operation.
The circuit uses 2 x 80/100 Amp changeover relays to give forweard and reverse of the 12V Dc motor.
Is there some way to protect the contacts ? the relays are quite expensive in this AMP rating, and it was actually cheaper to buy a whole new winch kit and just grab the relay/remote switch from it to keep the existing one working.

I have considered Solid state DC relays, but as these do not seem to be available in a 5 pin changeover configuration, I do not know how to wire up some SSR's to control the DC motor for foreward/reverse operation..

can anyone help with a suitable circuit, using SSR's to control a 12V DC motor.. as this would elimimnate the relay contact ware.n.tear problem.

One solution would be a power-FET H-bridge. The choice of FETs would depend on the motor current rating. What is it?
I'd be very surprised if a 4x4 winch isn't designed to operate more than twice a day!

You probably need diodes across the relays to suppress the inductive kick-back from the wench motor. If you show a schematic of how it's connected to the relays, we might be able to suggest how to connect them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply guys...
I will open up the control box and trace the circuit and get the motor ratings..
I'm pretty sure the Relays are rated at 80A because I have replaced them now three times...

a 4x4 winch would normally only be operated a few dozen time per year.. not many times per day.. so I think the relays are underrated..

kick-back from the wench motor (post #3)
Thought-provoking indeed!

Last edited:
[bad joke alert]

That reminds me of the only joke I've ever made up.

Q: What did Jack the Ripper say when he was working on his car?
A: "Hand me a wench!"

(Who knew that he had a speech impediment, too?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back