Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote control a breakway connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdahl

Hello there!

The project is to drive inside a contained space, with an inflatable plug, give the plug signal to inflate, give the connector a signal to disconnect and drive back leaving the plug inside .

I just need the connector that will breakaway on a signal.
Any of you heard about something like that?

Thanks

Johs

Hello there!

The project is to drive (drive what?) inside a contained space(where? what are the conditions), with an inflatable plug (what is a inflatable plug? or do you maen something inflatable with a plug(conector) conected), give the plug signal to inflate (inflate what?), give the connector a signal to disconnect and drive back leaving the plug inside .

I just need the connector that will breakaway on a signal.
Any of you heard about something like that?

Thanks

Johs

i realy don't know what you mean

please be a bit more specific

Robert-Jan

Drive a video inspection tool, the connector has to be IP65 or higher because of the wet conditions, and the plug is to seal a hole, put the plug in fill it with air.
I need to leave the plug there off course. So I need some kind of solution to disconnect the connector between the plug and the tool.

this kind of requirements in IP65 is almost work for a robot (i think it is already)

the only way i can imagen to do it is while inflating the plug it will build up so much pressure so it will push the conector out

like a conector with a colar and is puched away by an inflated (ring Baloon) on top of the plug that seals of the hole

Robert-Jan

The solution has to be independent not depended on inflation process, but beside that it could have worked. Sorry for not telling that spec, but that way didn’t even cross my mind.

I’m thinking more about a magnetic force holding the male and female together, inflate, shutdown the magnetic field and drive away will break the connectors apart, but that will not give a waterproof solution.... Any ideas?

Last edited:
The solution has to be able to disconnect the connector regardless of the plug being inflated, but beside that it could have worked. Sry for not telling that spec, but that way didn`t even cross me.

I`m thinking more about a magnetic force holding the male and female together, inflate, shotdown the magnetic field and drive away will break the connectors apart, but that will not give a waterproof solution.... Any ideas?

i just work further on your idea as i think it's a realistic one

the point is that if you require IP65 it have to be water tight
with a pressure of 20 cm water colum (imersed in the water)

that maens that the plug will have a doulble set of rubber seals wich will give friction on release of the conector

it you have a permanet magnet with one pole towards the conector in the plug than you only need an electro magnet that while you riding and filling the plug will keep everything together and when you want to release you will reverse the current and while the plug is already inflated in the hole it will not move anymore the conector will be (launched away) if the current is strong enough

this all is posibble to make in the IP 65 Class

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
Have you searched on "breakaway electrical connector?" They are used in aerospace applications. For example (**broken link removed**) when ground power is supplied to aircraft, it can be bad if the airplane taxis away from the gate with the plug still attached. They are also used in rockets...same issue. ITT Cannon is a major manufacturer of them.

My search also yielded several patents that are applicable to industrial applications.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back