Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resource for heat sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a generic heat sink for a HVCA KBPC6005 bridge rectifier. Any guidance as far as good suppliers go?

Thanks,
Nate

Than leave plenty of copper around it and bolt it to the board. I have seen that done alot. Andy

If you want to mount a sink on a board maybe something from Aavid Thermalloy for a solution. Also, I have harvested and used heat sinks from old computer motherboards. There are some good sinks to be had if you can do a little machining to tailor it for your needs. When I use commercial pre made I generally buy from Allied Electronics but any electrical parts house should offer plenty of solutions.

Ron

the KBPC6005 has a center hole of 0.16" (~4mm).

I suggest to use an obsolete heatsink of an AMD CPU.

Remove the spring (used to attach it to the socket) and drill a hole through it.

Boncuk

I find that old computer heat sinks work great.

Best thing is that they are cheap as and slowly gets rid of the 'Junk' pile!!!

Tom

That is probably the direction I am going to go as I unfortunately dont have a junk pile of scrap PC parts kicking around. By the way what is the the silicon compound they smear all over CPUs before clipping the heat heat sinks onto them called?

Heat Sink compound is a yucky, sticky 'gunk' that gets everywhere! I'm pretty sure it is Silicon Dioxide.

It is there as a thermal conductor, it helps to convey the heat to the heat sink.

Its good, I would recommend it if there will be a moderate to high heat involved. Be careful is is very, very messy.

Tom

The usual white stuff is pretty messy.

Using the newer kind of compound the process of applying it to the surface is less messy.

That stuff contains particles of aluminum oxide (color of it is silvery-grey) at takes care of better head conduction.

It is supplied with every new Intel CPU, but can be had separately at computer shops. (2ccm)

Boncuk

Last edited:
There was a time when you simply took some thermal compound or thermal paste, spread a little on the heat sink or component(s) and screwed or bolted them to the heat sink.

Now we have TIM (Thermal Interface Material). Then too, it will always be heat sink compound to me. Yeah, born as the white sticky stuff. Now, especially to a home computer enthusiast this is what peanut butter is to an English muffin for filling the nooks and crannies.

Check this link out especially those names. Look when you want thermal transfer names like Zero Therm and Freeze just tell you it is great stuff. It always helps if you use the word Arctic in a name too as Arctic implies what? Why really cold right. :)

You would never name a thermal compound something like Dessert Stuff would you? Who would buy it. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back