Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF scanner best buys to look for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I'm looking for some suggestions on what to search for on Ebay or other auction or retail sites as far as scanners go. I'm basically looking for true wide band (I'll make antennas for various frequencies) but I want a single receiver that's good for anything from AM or sub AM frequencies all the way up to 2.4ghz.
A good solid starting unit, I don't mind missing bands but I really want a good bang for the buck unit that's going to get me sniffing on air as soon as I can with a lot of listening opportunities, preferably not just in the cw/audible band but for data transmission in HAM specs as well.
If the unit has a transmit capability I'm only looking for local low power DX facilities. I already have a 4 unit rack mount o'scope so I'm looking for a size considered receiver, I will sacrifice for bang for the buck consideration though =)
I'm looking in the 100-150 U.S. dollar range unless a few more bucks will give me a lot more features.

<Post nudge>
Aww come on, there's a few HAMs here, no one can recommend a decent scanner?

I was looking for suggestions, I should hope those exist => Looking at the units for sale on Ebay and using google to look up specs there are a plethora of UHF/VHF scanners many older Radio Shack models and Uniden units also seem to be relatively common. The basic ones are so cheap I don't think I can really go wrong if I hunt for a decent deal for a few days, worst I'm out is around 30 bucks.

Last edited:
If you want a scanner that is both medium to small ,with the performance of
some big HF ham tranceivers/receivers.
Then you wouldnt go wrong with the AOR 3000/A, this is such a powerfully
sensitive reciever,that I believe it was used by millitary in the gulf ect.

Both the size & portability, and big antenna handling make this an all rounder.
Signal meter,audio quality ,ssb stability,400 ch multitude of step sizes 12v or mains.For me this can't be beat, with this scanner.

Or why not the yupiteru mvt-7100 , HF in your pocket scanner, sit on a beach ,dangle 8-10ft of wire along the sand,brings the world alive.
Excellent audio from a small scanner,hf vhf uhf -ssb,am,fm.wfm-1000 channel
fast scan.

Aircraft hundreds of miles away heard on extended telescopic antenna, couple
a voice squelch circuit to the yupi or aor for atc monitoring on HF ,without
all the static crashes,and you have a nice setup.

Both scanners have discriminator pins,for data audio, paging ,rtty ect

I have tried them all,and if we are looking for an increase in size, then
on the HF reception an Icom R-71 blows you away with quality in the
shack (old but the best).

Regards.

The specs of the mvt-7100 I've found spark my interest, especially being a handheld unit it would be nice to be able to move around with it. Discriminator output would be awesome, especially on a handheld unit. Know where I might be able to find it or a comparable unit online? E-bay has an MVT-3300EU and an MVT-9000 which I have on my watch list, but the 3300 is at the max end of my price range and not quiet as wide band as I'd like. The 9000 looks really nice but I'm guessing it's not going to be in my price range. I'll keep looking for another week I think widen my choices a bit.

I notice ebay has the MVT-7100's in waves sometimes.
I:E they seem to come along almost at the same time, 1 seller puts one on
then another ect,then you seem to have a few to choose from at the same time. Dont know why this is, but noticed it a few times.

Ebay is where i got mine, 60GBP.. The audio and reception are so good,that
I have split the lcd screen from the mainboards, and installed the gem in my car.

2 Mainboards in aluminium case under dash with dc socket and speaker socket. 36 shielded wires to lcd board,and control dials on dashboard.
Now I have a mobile HF,VHF,UHF no gaps listening station that goes where I go.

The lcd screen is fitted just inside a blanked off air vent facing me,then when I exit the vehicle I place the vent front cover over it,magmount then goes in boot(no scanner to be seen).

This was possible on the 7100 as it has 3 seperate detachable boards
60GBP for a very broadband allmode mobile station.
The front lcd with keyboard buttons included is about the size of a cigarette packet.
Feed the audio through the car stereo,and homebase sound with mobile
usage became possible,without having to remove the scanner all the time.
Not bad eh!.

I use my AOR 3000A for home Along with my icom R-71E,
but as I said before, I used the yupiteru previously as a hand held on a
6-10ft wire on a beach,and wow Hf ssb bands were alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back