Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Right Temp for soldering with 60/40 and 63/37

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

Wikipedia says here that the melting point of leaded solder is around 182 °C.

While wikipedia here says that lead based soldering used 250 - 280 °C.

Are both in line ?

I am contemplating buying this soldering Iron. Which has a temp range of 250-450 °C.

Could someone help me understand if this Iron is going to be good enough for leaded solder ?
Or am I just going to throw my money away on this.

Last edited:
182deg/C is just the melting temperature of 60/40 soldering tin.

For a good connection (mechanically and electrically) the soldering temperature must be high enough to have the tin flow around the component pin and distribute evenly on the solder pad.

250deg/C is a bit low while 270 to 290deg/C is about right for small parts.

If your soldering iron is able to produce 450deg/C it is also well suited for big parts like AMP-connectors.

Best purchase is a temperature controlled soldering station.

Boncuk

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess then I will go ahead with buying the Goot Px-201. Searching through the forums, I see that dknguyen also uses this Iron. Would be great if she sees this thread and shares here views on the Iron.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back