Safety Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad89

HI ExpoZ,

my question this time goes far out of Electronics, but i think you guys, are Jacks of all, but Masters of some that you might be masters in the thinkg i am asking about.Anyway. not to make it seem long, my question is about why Do'nt we use the Co2 extinguishers to fight planes Fires? and why aint there a fire extinguisher upon the plane?

Muhammad89

why Do'nt we use the Co2 extinguishers to fight planes Fires?

We were told CO2 gas is the biggest contributed factor to global warming issues.

and why aint there a fire extinguisher upon the plane?

Passengers cannot extinguish an engine fire from "inside" the plane because engines are mounted on the wings outside the plane cabin.

CO2 is toxic, not as much as its evil little brother CO (carbon monoxide). Fire extingushers use compressed CO2, so setting one off in a confined space blows a lot of the oxygen elsewhere, leaving a concentrated amount of CO2. You ahve to remember this is one of the human bodies waste products, our system doesn't want large concentrations of it (but we require a small amount in our blood to maintain pH levels).

Can't use them on planes because its a closed system, can't exactly open a window to ventilate now can we?

Blueteeth

what if the plane was emptied from Passengo, why wouldnt Co2 be used ?

Ok so you have an empty plane. Still no ventilation. So any fire fighters would require breathing apparatus. Plus CO2 isn't the only type of fire extinguisher, water foam, pwder etc... CO2 combats fires by dispelled the local oxygen content - no oxygen, no fire. Similarly, no oxygen, no breathing.

And as someone else pointed out, most fires occur on the engines. And I don't think they allow flammable substances in the cabin In answer to your question, its jsut a case of common sense. There are situations where CO2 should be used, and is effective. Confined spaces isn't one of them.

Blueteeth

...why Do'nt we use the Co2 extinguishers to fight planes Fires? and why aint there a fire extinguisher upon the plane?

Muhammad89

Where did you get the idea that fire extinguishers were not aboard aircraft? They most certainly are aboard most aircraft and all commercial aircraft -- at least those regulated by the FAA and similar agencies in most nations. See: https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/ppt/systems/DEVELOPMENT_OF_GUIDANCE_Ottawa.ppt#1

As for the choice of extinguisher, there are many considerations. In general, Halon is used in preference to other types. The following is from a large manufacturer of aircraft fire extinguishers:

John

We were told CO2 gas is the biggest contributed factor to global warming issues.

Passengers cannot extinguish an engine fire from "inside" the plane because engines are mounted on the wings outside the plane cabin.

I for one would support the banning of CO2. Don't hold your breath though.

hey duke!

it is not up to me or yo, dude!! that has ben agreed on internationally.
whatever!Halon is much dangerous than Co2 on Environment!
see this !

Yes, Halon production in North America has ceased due to the signing of the Montreal Protocol. The banning of the manufacture of this agent was required due to the fact that Halon's contain C.F.C.'s(Chlorofluorocarbons).

you can also have a look at this !
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/08/htoc2002.pdf

I for one would support the banning of CO2. Don't hold your breath though.

Lol, here in Aus, it's not yet banned but will require a permit to produce in 2 years time. Guess it's time to leave the arse end of the planet. Problem is I'm running out of corners to run to!!

Mike.
P.S. how many corners has this planet got?

Well, alright maybe not as dangerous from asphyxiation but it's definitely toxic.
I have designed and installed halon systems for commercial premises and the requirement was to allow 30 seconds, after the alarm sounds, to evacuate the room before the release of the halon gas.

This link may help with this question.

**broken link removed**

Larry

hi Larry.
It depends which of the Halon gas types you are working with.

Extract:
Halon flooding systems do NOT displace enough air so as to be
a hazard of suffocation. CO2 systems, by contrast, lower the oxygen
content of the room to a level which supports neither combustion nor
human life.

http://yarchive.net/chem/halon.html

Last edited:
Moreover, CO2 at relatively low levels stimulates the respiratory system to hyperventilate. That is discomforting in itself, and if continued can lead to respiratory alkalosis, which is quite dangerous.

Bottom line, next time I have an on-board fire in an aircraft, I will put it to a vote of the passengers -- would you rather have a little discomfort or be burned to a crisp?

It is not a question of something one does as part of every flight. It is done to save lives in relatively rare circumstances. The approved Halons (and maybe Halotron) are the best things we currently have for that purpose.

BTW, the concept that a pressurized airplane is like a closed bottle is a bit misleading. The pilot can control the control the ratio of outside air to recirculated air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…