sample and hold op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

beplusso

hello everyone,

i'm trying to build a sample and hold circuit. based on my research, i've found a simple circuit using a couple of op-amps. but it doesn't define the type of op-amp to use.

based on my understanding, when a pulse appears at the sample input, the first op-amp will turn on, therefore charging the Vi. I guess this the capacitor will only discharge it only after a period.

so, any suggestions of the type of op-amp to use? and what could possibly be the function of the S2 switch in the figure attached?

regards.

Attachments

• SampleHold.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 8,137
The type of op-amps depends on the speed of the sampling and the frequency of the input signal. In general, you would use a FET input op-amp if you wanted really long "hold" times (in the seconds).
You only need S2 in this circuit if SI is not a bidirectional switch. If SI doesn't conduct in both directions, there would be no way for C1 to discharge and you would have a "peak hold" circuit.

just to make sure, is this applicable if i want to let and LED light on for a certain period of time. which is caused by the hold mode?

beplusso said:
just to make sure, is this applicable if i want to let and LED light on for a certain period of time. which is caused by the hold mode?
hi,
Its the type of circuit you need if you are sampling a 'analog' signal, if you require to keep a LED ON, for certain time,
using TTL/CMOS logic levels, you require a monostable.

A sample/hold OPA has to have a high input impedance and a very low input 'leakage'. I have used a CA3240 OPA as a sample/hold.

Its also important the Cap holding the charge has a very low leakage current, polycarbonate caps are OK

The S2 switch is to discharge the cap ready for the next sampling period, it can also be a FET or bipolar transistor.

The S2 FET/BPT would be pulsed ON, [to discharge the cap] after the 'held' voltage has been digitised
or for whatever purpose you are using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…