Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scavenged parts--thinking of building an H-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torben

Hi all,

A workmate donated a dead uninterrupible power supply to me to dissect, and out of the bargain I get:

1 large transformer, unknown ratings
1 small HF transformer, unknown ratings
1 LM324N quad op-amp
4 RFP50N06 50A MOSFETs (T0-220 packages, bolted to 2 aluminum block heatsinks)
1 IRFZ34N MOSFET (no heatsink)
1 LM317 regulator ((T0-220 package, bolted to a smaller aluminum block heatsink)
1 12V 5.0AH SLA battery, possible (probably?) dead

So I was thinking about what to do with this. I haven't built an H-bridge yet and was thinking the RFP50N06s might be good for that (datasheet here). I was also wondering whether the inverter section of this thing might be modified to output a somewhat closer approximation of a sine wave for possible use in my truck. I'm clearer on how H-bridges work, though, so I'm leaning that way.

Anybody have any hints on designing a decent H-bridge around a given set of MOSFETs? I think from the datasheet that I should be able to build something pretty hefty for hobby use with these.

Links to good reading on H-bridge design are also welcome--I've already googled around quite a bit but wouldn't mind some recommendations from people here.

Another question: any thoughts on how to work out the thermal transfer characteristics of the heatsinks is welcome. Here's a picture of the heatsinks:

IMG_3141-1.JPG

Thanks for any ideas,

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back