Scavenged parts--thinking of building an H-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torben

Hi all,

A workmate donated a dead uninterrupible power supply to me to dissect, and out of the bargain I get:

1 large transformer, unknown ratings
1 small HF transformer, unknown ratings
1 LM324N quad op-amp
4 RFP50N06 50A MOSFETs (T0-220 packages, bolted to 2 aluminum block heatsinks)
1 IRFZ34N MOSFET (no heatsink)
1 LM317 regulator ((T0-220 package, bolted to a smaller aluminum block heatsink)
1 12V 5.0AH SLA battery, possible (probably?) dead

So I was thinking about what to do with this. I haven't built an H-bridge yet and was thinking the RFP50N06s might be good for that (datasheet here). I was also wondering whether the inverter section of this thing might be modified to output a somewhat closer approximation of a sine wave for possible use in my truck. I'm clearer on how H-bridges work, though, so I'm leaning that way.

Anybody have any hints on designing a decent H-bridge around a given set of MOSFETs? I think from the datasheet that I should be able to build something pretty hefty for hobby use with these.

Links to good reading on H-bridge design are also welcome--I've already googled around quite a bit but wouldn't mind some recommendations from people here.

Another question: any thoughts on how to work out the thermal transfer characteristics of the heatsinks is welcome. Here's a picture of the heatsinks:

Thanks for any ideas,

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…