Schmitt-Trigger output signal too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi,

I am working at a project for an MCU phase control circuit.

For a precise ignition from 0 to 100% an extremely short pulse of the Schmitt-Trigger is necessary to cover the entire range.

The attached circuit produces an output signal of approximately 200µs length at zero crossing of mains voltage which is still 0.2% which can't be controlled.

Changing the values of R2 (75K) and/or C1 (22nF) for higher values the output signal collapses almost completely.

If I could achieve a pulse length of 100µs that solution would almost be perfect.

What measures can be taken for shorter pulses?

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• Schmitt-Trigger.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 254
What you're trying to do there is kind of tricky - the opto is triggering off the top of a sine wave that is fifty times wider than the 100µS pulse you want to get. Imagine zooming in on the peak of the sine wave 50x - it's going to be pretty flat.

I would suggest triggering a one-shot (555) to give you the fixed pulse width.

Hi duffy,

it's not tricky at all if you crack the shell. With a timed output of an NE555 there will be synchronization problems at zero crossing. The pulse must go high exactly at zero crossing without any delay.

Thank you anyway. I've found a solution myself getting the pulse length down to 80µs, which is reasonably accurate for any load to be controlled.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…