Serial 232 Please help me,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghoattriple

:? I hooked a maxter 232 to my serial port,I have a program that sends the data threw the TX line,,,,,I have a 74hcto4n hooked up as a prob.there is a light for ground "0"Green,,, and a lite for "1"red,,,
Now here's the problem.The light's work at low speeds lower than 1200 buade,,,But the 74H cannot switch back and fort at the high speed's Therefor both lights Dances back and forth butt both are always on,Just that the dimnes will dance.Now i want to capture the data bieng sent from the serial port?I dont want to see lights dancing i want to store the data so i can read it later or dissasemble it.My question is what can i hook to the circuit that i have built to help me store the data so i can retrieve it later.I will provide pics of my chip later to help you better understand.Someone please tell me that this can be dun,Thanks...

here is the pic

maybee thisel help

Attachments

• sdfsdf.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,501
  • asdfsadfsdaf.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,468
  • asdfasdf.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,451
I don't understand at all what you are trying to do?, but what you have doesn't look capable of doing anything else than it is now?.

none

If you would have read youd understand that i am tring to capture the serial data???So i can dissasemble it,Butt to do that i have to get the data out of the PC on to some kinda memory chip,""Memory"" so i can go back and read the data and dissasemble it later.the 74H inverter isnt working???That was what i was asking abought,,,,both leds would lite at the same time butt one would be brighter than the other """Depending"""on if it was a 0 or a 1"""The ASCII American standard Coded Information Interchange"""now that maybbee you might undertand i think this could be a soulution to my problem↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Attachments

• bonzi.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,368
?

On the led lights in the Picure to the right the Posative and negative symbals need to be swaped i drew that part of it wrong

Re: ?

ghoattriple said:
On the led lights in the Picure to the right the Posative and negative symbals need to be swaped i drew that part of it wrong
Well Maybee i didnt!!!for cring out loud,I had forgot that i putt inverters in the circuit,sheesh it is correct in the pic.sorry

Re: none

I read what you wrote in the first place, and it still doesn't make much sense?. I presume English might not be your first language?, but as you haven't filled your location in, it's hard to know!.

But, from what I'm 'guessing' you mean, here are a few points!.

1) Your circuit looks to be working perfectly, but has no relevence to your requirements! - all it will do is flash red and green LED's depending on the serial data stream - which it appears to do quite happily!.

2) Disassembling - this means disassembling assembler code to produce source code, what has this got to do with what's going out of a serial port?.

3) Try posting EXACTLY what you want to do, not how you currently are trying to do it (which doesn't make any sense).

uhh

thanks for the info,,It isn't the serial port i am wanting to dissasemble,i am wanting to build a device i can stick between serial transmissions,like if a reciver ask a question i want to be able to no what it is asking,then i will then want to understand what the removable chip told the reciever.and when i figer that out i can make my on chip to answer the questions hehe

Re: uhh

You mean like reverse engineering a dongle?.

You can simply use another PC to monitor the data on the RS232 line!, there are plenty of freeware programs about to do just that.

exactly...
if you are trying to capture RS232 signal for debugging purpose,
why not use computer and some sort of terminal program.
that's exactly what i use when programming or troubleshooting
serial connection. Hyperterminal is included with every version of
windows and linux usually come with minicom.
if there is a problem and you want to take a look at waveform,
try oscilloscope. Storage scope would be proper choice.
naked eye is way to slow to do the job with your hardware.

okiey

:? Seems like you guy's have this figere'd out already'Hmm,,,So i have a reciever and a smartcard,and i want to monitor both,Tring to reivent the wheel i guess,cause i dont no of any other way,This emulater or what ever your talking abought"i want to be able to no what the reciever ask and also what the card answer was.So if i use an emulater this will solve my problem?If so where is the hardware and software??

HYPER TERMINAL????

I read a post,Someone wants to send texed out of the pc serial port,and someone replied Use the Hyper terminal???Am i missing somthing or can this hyper terminal be used for emulation software,if it cant be used please tell me why?cause theres a recieve file option in there,and what is needed to emulate my reciever?a max 232 and a couple of inverters???should this do the trick?if so i am up and running smooth.

Re: okiey

You've now introduced a totally different question, which presumably you've been talking about all along? - a Smartcard!.

There are plenty of circuits and software on the net for such experimentation, but are you aware of the compexities involved?.

Smartcards normally use extremely complicted mathmatical formulas for their operation, they don't simply reply in the same way to the same request - or they wouldn't be very 'smart'.

As your electronics knowledge seems extremely limited, I suggest you look for ready worked out solutions - I can't see you cracking a system which hasn't already been done! - bearing in mind it's probably had hundreds of highly qualified people trying to so for a number of years!.

You are describing a "logger" you might try looking in the satellite forums
for a design to use and software to run it. The device you have WILL NOT
allow you to interpret any serial communication, as communication between irds and smart cards tend to be packets of 40 bytes or more at
approximately 4 megahertz (thats 4 million cycles per second.)

Good luck, Loooie.

ok, do this:

make a crossover cable using two DB9F connectors using simple three wire connection (2-3, 3-2, 5-5).
use it to connect two com ports (either two PCs or two com ports on a same PC).
open one Hyperterminal (or whatever other 'therminal' you have) for
each port and set them up for same baud rate and click on connect icon (both terminals!). since we use simple cable there is no hardware handshaking (choose 'none').

If you type something in one terminal, same text will show up on another.
if you try to type on other, that text will show up on first one - just like in ICQ for example.

Now if you disconnect one end of the cable and plug it to some other device (anything with RS232 port), you can see what that device is sending and if you want to 'talk' to it, just type message or command it can understand.

now some devices will require straight cable. this is normally required for
'dumb' devices that normally cannot initiate connection (google for more info on DTE and DCE).

we use this approach all the time to communicate with all kind of devices (printers, vision systems, barcode scanners, industrial servos, HMIs and whatever else comes our way).

74LS04 is not too slow to turn LEDs on and off - it is way too fast for your eyes.
that's why the LEDs appear to 'dance' - they are turned on and off many times per second.
you can make some shift registers for example to capture streams but it's not worth the trouble. most messages are 20-200 characters long and each character is one byte (8bit). since you are trying to work with discrete components, that means some 20-400 chips, 160-1600LEDs etc. even at $0.05 per LED and $0.50 per chip you are looking at some spending, lot's of wiring and troubleshooting etc.
by the time you are done looking for suitable breadboards in your catalog of choice, you could have tried out hyperterminal and be playing with communication.
if you have any programming software (VB, Delphi, Pascal, QBasic, anything...) you can write your own terminal. This would have big advantage that you could use it to not just send/receive but also generate codes and act in a certain way depending on response from device. yes this can be done manually but it can take veeeeery long time and it's so much faster and more comfortable to make computer do bulk of work for you, have option to save and load bunch of data so you can really study it.
without saving data, i mean by looking at LEDs you would have to record all bits manually. you don't want to use paper book for this do you? how do you compare thirty strings to look for paterns (even if your handwriting is not too bad)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…