Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

servo encodeing/decodeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

OK! so i got myself a 2.4ghz 4CH RC receiver, which decodes the rf signal and outputs it as servo data, but is analogue somehow, since it variably controls an ESC (electronic speed control) too, to set the RPM of my bldc motor.

so what i want to do is to "intercept that data" from the receiver decode it to a NICE LINEAR CLOCKED DIGITAL DATA, to fit in to a shift register or such, after that i want to re-encode it to send it out to the servo/ESC

so how would i capture the "modulations", is there a decoder that can do this?

re-encoding im sure would be easy, since i could just integrate with a "555servoControllerCircuit"?

It says it is a R2004GF receiver if that helps, no uC's pls!!!

so what i want to do is to "intercept that data" from the receiver decode it to a NICE LINEAR CLOCKED DIGITAL DATA, to fit in to a shift register or such, after that i want to re-encode it to send it out to the servo/ESC

Why would you "decode" and then "re-encode" a PWM signal before the ESC? You just end up doing nothing.
Do you want to implement some kind of microcontroller in between to process the signal somehow?

The signal coming from the radio receiver is a proper servo PWM signal.. and probably much better quality than what you would get from a "555servoControllerCircuit".

PWM signal is analog signal, not digital data, even if its generated by digital prosessor and received by digital servo or ESC.
Converting a PWM signal into a "nice linear clocked data" (digital data) would definitely require some sort of digital processor, a microcontroller.

Last edited:
ya, i know it does nothing, like that, but i want to decode it from my receiver and convert it to L297 input stepper commands, so i need to isolate the direction, enable and full/half step commands,
if i can detect the modulations somehow, and put it out as logic, I can use some gates to code it to those commands.

no uC but i am going to process signal, thats why i like parallel register data

This is wat i was saying , even if bad english, i couldn't get a snapshot this time, but here is EWB5.1 simulation, after setting the clock up to 2mS/16, the circuit captures the pulse and "measures" it and outputs data as 5 switches, (for my stepper motor ctrl, FFw, Fw, N, Re, FRe, where the data switches motor speed and direction

I want to do this so i can integrate with my RC car transmitter/receiver

& the zip file is actually a rar

Attachments

• servo decoder.zip
    36.5 KB · Views: 125
Why do you want to use a stepper instead of a servo ?

If I had to do this without a micro processor I would AND a free running clock with the high portion of the PWM signal. Route the output of that to a counter. Clear the counter on rising PWM edge and latch it to a register on the falling edge. That gives you a digitial representation of the PWM duration.

Compare the value in the latch to the midpoint value to determine the direction and magnitude of the required displacement. That information will determine what signals are needed by the stepper controller.

The number of steps is limited by that set by the remote control unit.
You may end up with less precision in that you are adding in an analog to digital translation.

:eek: when i started the robot, i thought we used servos, but then i read we used steppers, now iv found out about bldc motors, but i already have the stepper circuits & motor assembled, im just going to go with it. all i wanted is for some tires to spin.

but now i'm setting up various remote controls to it, one of them is the 4ch remote, but the receiver data is servo code, plus i want a motor that can spin +360, idk if a servo can do that, but to hook a bldc motor to the receiver I need an "electronic speed controller" that takes the servo data and converts to bldc signal(3 phasing i think).

THNX
3v0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back