Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ShopVac Fused Link replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two types of thermal fuses. The hair dryer version is set for a specific temperature and pop. This is usally accomplished by using an alloy that melts at that temperature.

Every fuse is essentially a piece of wire that is designed to melt in a nice enclosed space. There are various forms of ohms law, such as P=I^2*R where I would be the current and R, the resistance of the fuse. Furthermore R=pLA of a material which hass a material constant Rho, a length L and a cross-sectional area A.

The time that a certain amount of heat is applied raised the temperature assuming no losses.

So, fuses are designed to handle 100% of the current for an infinite time. 110% and 300% will have different blow characteristics. Fuses are designed to handle short circuit protection. e.g. Don;t allow more than 15A continuous through this wire in your house, otherwise the wire will get too hot and bad things will happen.

PolySwitches are basically designed to protect motors and battery packs and they will likely reset on their own. When a motor starts, it nearly looks like a short or the value if the resistance of the windings. If the rotor doesn't move, the current is limited by the resistance of the windings. How long it doesn't move creates heat. So, the poly fuses will allow the motor to see a large load "briefly" but would cur out when it occurs for a longer time than a fuse.

Time-delay fuses are typically used for motors. In an industrial setting "Thermal fuses" are also used. Sensors are also used at the motor.

Ok. But it's unlikely it will blow because of a current overload, like whatever you experienced that blew out the original.

This is actually the second motor for this ShopVac. I had the first one setting on the lawn when the sprinklers came on. My kids started yelling Fire and when I turned around flames were shouting out of it when I pulled the plug.

ShopVac sent me a new motor because it was still under warranty and I just couldn’t believe the fuse didn’t blow during the fire because it was enough to melt the housing. So I really don’t have that much confidence in it anyway.

This time the filter fell off inside and all the crap from inside was blowing through the motor when the fuse blew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back