Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shortwave Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

biferi

I have an Eton E5 Shortwave Radio and it Tunes Shortwave FREQ. in kHz.

Now if the Display shows [ 8000 ] I know I would read this as Eight Thousand kHz.
But it has the Latters kHz after the three Zeros so it looks like this on the Display [ 8000 kHz ]

Am I right this is just to tell me to read it as Eight Thousand Hz or is it telling me to put three more Zeros and read it as Eight Thousand Millon Hz?

Nope, as you read it is simply 8000 KHz or 8 MHz shortwave frequency to which it is tuned into. Shortwave band normally range from 2000 KHz to 30,000 KHz (2MHz to 30MHz.)

Am I right this is just to tell me to read it as Eight Thousand Hz or is it telling me to put three more Zeros and read it as Eight Thousand Millon Hz?
You are correct in adding three more zeros, but that gives 8,000,000Hz or 8 Million Hz or 8MHz as transistor495 noted.

thanks but

So when my Radio Displays
[ 8000 kHz ]

The kHz Latters are telling me to Ad 3 more Zeros?
And I would write this out as 8,000,000 Hz?

What about the two answers you got did you not understand? Read them again.

You are absolutely correct!

8 Million Hz = 8,000,000 Hz = 8,000 KHz = 8 MHz

EDIT:- :)

Last edited:
thanks but

What I mean is if I see 8000 kHz on the Radio I would write it on Paper as
8,000,000 Hz.

Because the kHz I see on my Radio tells me to Ad 3 Zeros at the end and they put the kHz on the Radio so it will be Shorter on the Display.

But I asked the Tech on the Phone for the Radio and they tell me NO.

I new they are not right.

I don't know what the convention is for SW, I'd have to look at a dial marking, but take for instance:

FM 88.1 MHz and even 102.1 MHz or we just shorten it to 88.1 FM

AM we also use what the band is marked in: e.g. 540 KHz and say 1380 KHz or we just say 1450 AM

I had a tube car radio AM/FM/SW radio that tuned in reverse. It was marked in increasing Wavelength, not frequency.

Typically engineering notation would use multipliers of say 1 Hz, 1e3 KHz, 1e6 MHz,

We would not say 1.38 MHz AM for 1380 AM

You made me look at an old SW receiver:
It's marked 5.0 to 18 MC; MC is Megacycles; Now called MHz.

So, you could say 5.0 SW or 5.0 MHz

8 MHz is better to use than 8,000,000 Hz, but we would not say 1.380 MHz for 1380 KHz AM because of the confusion.

We tend to break things up into bands and channels, but not always.

Last edited:
8000kc = 8mc or 8 megs.

40 meter ham band

8MHz is not the 40 meter ham band.

The 40-meter or 7-MHz band is an amateur radio frequency band, spanning 7000-7300 kHz in ITU Region-2, and 7000-7200 kHz in Regions 1 & 3. It is allocated to radio amateurs worldwide on a primary basis.

Pat - W9ZO

Hi,

Whatever the tech told you or whatever you think he told you can not be correct. 8000 kHz is 8,000,000 Hz period.

So yes, 8000 kHz is 8000000 Hz or using the commas 8,000,000 Hz or in megahertz 8 MHz.

We can be quite sure of this because there is no SW frequency that goes down to 8 kHz which is what you say the tech is suggesting. A frequency that low is audio, and "long wave" radio i think only goes down to 50 kHz which is still much higher than 8 kHz.

So if you had a radio that picks up 8 kHz you'd have a very specially design radio or else you'd have yourself an ordinary microphone there :)

Last edited:
MrAl is quite correct about 8000 kHz.

However I would like to clarify/expand on very low frequencies.

"Radio" is generally considered to start at 10kHz.
If you look at the frequency assignment plans as published by OFCOM (UK) or the FCC (USA) they start at 10kHz.

I have a receiver which works from 10kHz to 30Mhz, I would not consider it anything particularly special, but then again the average man in the street would think that it was something "liberated" from a very hi-tech place if he saw it.

Frequency ranges are officially named as:

Very low frequency (VLF) 3 to 30kHz
Low frequency (LF) 30 to 300kHz
Medium frequency (MF) 300kHz to 3 Mhz
High frequency (HF) 3 to 30 Mhz
Very high frequency (VHF) 30 to 300Mhz
Ultra high frequency (UHF) 300 to 3000Mhz
Super High frequency (SHF) 3000 to 30,000Mhz

There are others, above and below these ranges, look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

In terms of the good old "wavelength" designators for broadcast radio:

Long wave 2000 to 1000 metres (150 to 300khz)
Medium wave 550 to 180 metres (545 to 1660 khz)
Short wave 100 to 10 metres (3 to 30 Mhz)

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back