si570&PIC16f877a via i2c

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have the code about how to control si570 with a pic via i2c??

Welcome to electro tech. For future reference, if you are asking questions about a specific component it's always good practice to post a data sheet for it so people don't have to go searching for it on thier own. Here's the data sheet for the Si570.

Also, try to give as much information as possible so that people can efficiently direct their efforts and don't have to ask a bunch of follow up questions. For instance, what language are you using? what compiler? Have you ever done any projects with I2C before? etc.

i use c language with mplab. the pic type is 16f877a, i have not done anything about i2c, so i do know how to write the code...

i use c language with mplab. the pic type is 16f877a, i have not done anything about i2c, so i do know how to write the code...

Which C compiler are you using in MPlab? As far as I know the only free C compiler that comes with MPlab is the C18 compiler which you wouldn't be using with the 16F877A. Are you using CCS, HI-TECH C, other? Different compilers have different libraries for controlling I2C communication.

Once you figure out which compiler you are using and how to use thier specific I2C libraries the basic flow will go like this:

I2C Initialize;

I2C Start;
I2C Slave address:
I2C Register select;
I2C Write data;
I2C Stop;

Between each step you will likely have your code wait for the acknowledge signal which is a signal output by the slave basically saying "OK, I received the entire byte". The registers you write to and the data you write to them are device specific. You have to study the data sheet for your specific device to know what registers must be written to and when to control which functions.

Last edited:

i'm using hi-tech c.
i just wrote some code about i2c
void i2c_init()
{
TRISC3=1; // set SCL and SDA pins as inputs
TRISC4=1;

SSPCON = 0x38; // set I2C master mode
SSPCON2 = 0x00;

//SSPADD = 0x6; // 400kHz bus with 10MHz xtal - use 0x0C with 20MHz xtal
SSPADD = 10; // 100k at 4Mhz clock

CKE=1; // use I2C levels worked also with '0'
SMP=1; // disable slew rate control worked also with '0'

SSPIF=0; // clear SSPIF interrupt flag
BCLIF=0; // clear bus collision flag
}

/******************************************************************************************/

void i2c_waitForIdle()
{
while (( SSPCON2 & 0x1F ) | RW ) {}; // wait for idle and not writing
}

/******************************************************************************************/

void i2c_start()
{
i2c_waitForIdle();
SEN=1;
}

void i2c_repStart()
{
i2c_waitForIdle();
RSEN=1;
}

void i2c_stop()
{
i2c_waitForIdle();
PEN=1;
}

int i2c_read( unsigned char ack )
{
unsigned char i2cReadData;

i2c_waitForIdle();

RCEN=1;

i2c_waitForIdle();

i2cReadData = SSPBUF;

i2c_waitForIdle();

if ( ack )
{
ACKDT=0;
}
else
{
ACKDT=1;
}
ACKEN=1; // send acknowledge sequence

return( i2cReadData );
}

unsigned char i2c_write( unsigned char i2cWriteData )
{
i2c_waitForIdle();
SSPBUF = i2cWriteData;

return ( ACKSTAT ); // function returns '1' if transmission is acknowledged
}

/******************************************************************************************
*************************** sla --- device slave ******************************************
*************************** address --- device address ************************************
*************************** *data --- data array ******************************************
*************************** num --- data length *******************************************
*******************************************************************************************/
void i2c_writeNByte(unsigned char sla, unsigned char address, unsigned char *data, unsigned char num)
{
unsigned int i;

for(i=0;i<num;i++)
{
i2c_start();
i2c_write(sla);
i2c_write(address+i);
i2c_write(*data++);
i2c_stop();
delays(5);
}
}

void i2c_readNByte(unsigned char sla, unsigned char address, unsigned char *data, unsigned char num)
{
unsigned int i;

for(i=0;i<num;i++)
{
i2c_start();
i2c_write(sla);
i2c_write(address+i);
i2c_repStart();
i2c_write(sla+1);
*data++=i2c_read(0);
i2c_stop();
Delays(5);
}

}
are these alright??

I'm not sure but this code looks like source for the different I2C library functions. Now you have to call the functions appropriately for your device. Something like:

Code:
i2c_init();

i2c_start();
i2c_write(slave_address);
i2c_write(first_register);
i2c_write(first_byte);
i2c_stop();

i2c_start();
i2c_write(second_register);
i2c_write(second_byte);
i2c_stop();

i2c_start();
i2c_write(third_register);
i2c_write(third_byte);
i2c_stop();

Once again for future reference, you can use the code brackets when posting code. It creates a scrolling field within your post so it won't be a billion lines long.

yeah, what i put is just head file, in the main file i wrote something like you gave me.thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…