Simple "flip-flop" style timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKaine

I've been trying to design a very simple repeating timer without an IC555. Unfortunately, I'm not versed in electronics enough to fully design it myself. The concept is similar to an astable multivibrator and goes like this:

A cap charges off of a battery, and as the capacitor nears fully charged, the circuit switches and allows the cap to discharge through a secondary device (LED, relay, etc) until the capacitor is discharged. The circuit then switches back to charging the cap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Heh, no, I'm not even in school. I'm trying to build these as cheap, compact and simple as possible. They're essentially going to be disposable. Also, as the capacitor discharges, it will ramp down the power output instead of just cutting it off, which works better for what I'm using them for. If you really think the 555 is a simpler way to go, I'll take your advice.

It might help if you would describe exactly what you're using them for, or no one can help you.. Your description so far explains pretty much nothing. Charged and discharged are relative terms, they can be any arbitrary voltage level. LED relay etc.. describes every electronics device known to mankind, again no help because nothing will meet the demands of every application.

Would you care to actually supply some information that we can work with? Flip flop style timer is a misnomer, as a flip flop can't time anything even if some timers use flipflops.

Last edited:

My post was pretty well detailed, but I'll break it down a little further in case I wasn't clear.

Charged and discharged are not relative terms. A capacitor will draw energy from a power source until the voltage potential between the two sides of the cap is equal to that of the power source, at which time the current drawn by the cap is 0 and stored energy is at maximum. The capacitor is said to be in a "charged" state. When the two leads of a capacitor are connected, current will flow from the negative side of the capacitor to the positive side until the balance of charge between the two sides of the capacitor is restored. Then, there is no more stored energy in the capacitor and it is said to be "discharged."

If you connect a device which operates on electric energy between the two leads of a "charged" capacitor, the device will be able to operate off that energy until the capacitor has become "discharged."

The device I intend to make will charge a capacitor and then discharge it through a device (again, could be a LED, relay or anything within reason). My mistake was calling it a timer, because it is not. The time it takes to charge the capacitor will be used as a delay, which I can alter using a resistor. The device will operate for as long as it takes the capacitor to discharge through it, another variable determined by my selection of components. In the end, I'll have a device which operates every X seconds for Y milliseconds.

I don't intend on working with exotic materials, so you can safely assume I'm looking to build something that works off a battery. I can tweak the values of components to suit my purpose, so you need not worry about providing exact Farad, Volt, Ohm, etc values, I am just looking for a starting point, a basic circuit layout, something to that effect. I'm not like the hundreds of kids you probably have come through the forums who want you to design it, simulate it, build it, perfect it and then mail it to them. I just want some experienced help doing it myself.

Osc.

Attached is an oscillator circuit you can tune up.

Attachments

• osc..GIF
    18.8 KB · Views: 163
Charged and discharged are not relative terms.
They are relative terms.

A capacitor will draw energy from a power source until the voltage potential between the two sides of the cap is equal to that of the power source, at which time the current drawn by the cap is 0 and stored energy is at maximum.
A capacitor charged through a resistor never reaches a voltage equal to the power source.

If you connect a device which operates on electric energy between the two leads of a "charged" capacitor, the device will be able to operate off that energy until the capacitor has become "discharged."
If you connect a device between the leads of a charged capacitor, it will stop working before the capacitor is fully discharged.

The 555 helps with this, by choosing dependable "discharged" and "charged" decision points at 1/3 and 2/3 of the power supply voltage.

K. Clearly you're more more interested in winning an internet argument over splitting hairs than paying attention to what is being requested

A) I am trying to avoid using an IC.

B) I already pointed out that I don't care about reliability or precision. I'm not trying to time it to .001 sec precision, I could honestly care less if I had 10 second precision.

C) Quit being a dick. Seriously.

Dkaine, what's with the attitude, mneary isn't trying to win an argument he's trying to point out a misunderstanding you seem to have, which I did as well in a private meesage. The 555 timer is probably one of the most common flexible and useful IC chips you could ever learn to use and for basic timing circuits like this requires less than a half dozen components. Apparently you'd rather insult experienced users here rather than listen to advice and look this up on Google yourself though as there are literally thousands of circuits already in existence fully described with component values that do exactly what you're talking about. The inverter based circuit that ronv posted will also work but is more limited.

I look forward to seeing your circuit which fully charges a capacitor and then provides useful energy to a device until it is fully discharged.

Last edited:
If you have high enough voltage ( > 45 ) you could use a diac. Do u have that high a supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…