Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simplest half-bridge test circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I have some half-bridge ICs, L6384E's, that I'm having the darnest time getting to work. I've created the circuit on page 1 of the datasheet and checked over the wiring several times. So I don't think I have a simple wiring error. The symptoms are that HVG and LVG are always 0V, not matter what signal I put on IN. This would seem to imply the UVLO feature is activating for some reason, but my VCC is a nice steady 12V.

I'm at the point where I just want to build the simplest possible circuit that will prove the drivers work at all. Here's what I'm thinking:
Pin 1: IN -> GND
Pin 2: VCC -> 12V (through a small resistor)
Pin 3: DT/SD -> 56k resistor to GND
Pin 4: VSS -> GND

And leave 5 through 8 floating. HVG and LVG are always opposite each other to facilitate complimentary PWM (see fig 3). So if IN is GND, then LVG should go high. Would that work? Or does the internal circuity of the driver require the rest of the pins to be connected for anything to happen at all?

Ok, I looked a little closer at the UVLO feature and I'm a little confused. The datasheet says there are two thresholds: the "UV turn ON" (12V) and "UV turn OFF" (10V). Here's what I think it means. The VCC needs to rise above 12V initially to turn on the device. After that, if it drops below 10V, it will turn off the device. Am I correct?

As a test, I stacked a single AA battery on top of my 12V supply to get about 13.5V. I put that on the VCC pin and suddenly the LVG pin went high. So that seems to confirm my theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back