Simplest timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

busines5

hi folks,

I'd like to build the cheapest and simplest timer possible to ignite rockets.
A timer that will count down(or up) from anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes. After count down/up is done, it should send a current to the electric match and ignite it.

Could someone with NO experience in electronics build it? Also, would it be possible to start the timer when I hook up the battery instead of pressing a button? That way I don't have to add a button; the less components I have to use the better(to keep it as easy as possible for me ).

What I think will need to be done is going to radioshack getting the components that you'll hopefully tell me to get and solder them onto a breadboard. How's my aim?

Hi,

A 555 monostable timer as mentioned on other recent threads would work,
however with any simple electronic circuit, connecting the battery gives electrical surges that can turn on the output circuit - not something you want if you are by the rocket!

Suggests if you use this route you have the timer output isolated by a manual switch so when you connect the battery it cannot give a false firing, and a led on the output so it confirms it is not active when you switch it on.

The other simpler method would be to use an old fashioned clockwork timer or adapt one of the cheap little timers used in the kitchen or gym.

You could hack open a small clock and attach the ringer to the trigger of the rocket. Then you would just have to set the time to trip the alarm.

The reason why I don't use a small clock or kitchen timer instead of making a timer myself (or i want to try anyway) is because I developed an interest in electronics. It may be temporary, I don't know, but right now I'd like to make one.

Anyways.. manual switch, good idea. Can't have false firing

Allright, so now I need to know where to go from here. Yes, I am a complete dummy when it comes to electronics. Is there perhaps a thread/webpage that has "step-by-step instructions" on how to make a simple timer? Or maybe one of you guys would be willing to give those intructions??

So i need a 555 timer and a manual switch. What else? Are there many types of 555 timers or will they know which one i need if i were to go to radioshack(??) and ask for a 555 timer?

I read about the 555 timer at wikipedia and it has 8 pins. Do i need to connect them all to something?

I'm sure making a simple timer is peanuts for some if not all of the folks here, so would it be too much to ask if i asked you to write down step by step instructions on how to make the timer? Don't worry, i won't ask you to make it too

Any help IS appreciated!

A 555 timer isn't really suitable for delays over a couple of miniutes.

For that you could use a CD4060 or if you're also in to programming go for a microcontroller which is probably the best method.

That shouldn't be a problem.

The circuit for a monostable 555 timer (what you want) is on the datasheet which can be found using Google.

You should be able to buy parts for the timer RadioSh@g without any problems.

ok, i can buy the parts at radioshack.. but what parts do i need?

A 555 timer, a switch, a resistor, a capacitor, a board to put them on and jumper wires to connect them?

Yes, that will work.

However, using jumper wires can be messy so I'd recommend you go and buy some veroboard and solder them all together.

If you look at the datasheet it gives a formula for calculatig the resistor and capacitor values.

Note that it's recommended that you add a 10nF capacitor from 0V to pin 5 and 10:mu:F in parallel with the power supply.

ok, suppose i soldered it all together. I connected the battery and now i flip the switch in the on position(that would trigger the system, right?).. what will the 555 timer do? Count up or down and count up till what or down from what? And is there any way I can control what it will count down from?

You don't know anything about electronics.
Why are you here? Do we look like a school for noobees??
Do knitting or gardening instead.

dude audio chill out ok? he obviously doesnt know much about electronics, but you dont need to comment like that. He is just trying to get a simple timer working ok? Chill!

People who don't know anything about electronics and who buy overpriced parts at RadioCrap should buy the timer product they need.
There isn't any chance that they could make a working electronic circuit.

My first project I bought it from radioshack. I would get off and calm down a bit audio if I were you. Your kinda flippin out

Hi,

Have at look at the following link, it gives a very detailed account of the 555.

It also gives some simple diy circuits including a 10 min timer - just what you want.

hth

audioguru said:
People who don't know anything about electronics and who buy overpriced parts at RadioCrap should buy the timer product they need.
There isn't any chance that they could make a working electronic circuit.
I do agree it isn't the best place to buy stuff from but it can be handy, especially for beginners.

Unlike shopping on the Internet, you can actually see and handle the parts before you buy them.

RadioShack ripped off too many people in Canada. They are gone.
The Source by Circuit City are now running some of the RadioShack stores.

I agree with ripping off people that dont know better. They need to:
1. Leave the electronics sales
2. Leave the home entertainment sales
3. Leave the Crappy christmas toy sales
4. Give all their junk back to china
5. Fire all their staff and re hire them as pig farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…