Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single supply absolute value converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikstart

Dear members,

I need help on a project to convert audio signal to DC so a MCU can sample it and display it like bar on an LCD.

The problem I have is that the absolute value converter (like the example from Art of Electronics) needs to operate on a double supply, e.g. +/- 15 Volt.

I need it to work on a single supply, prefferably on +5. LMC662 is OK for 5V, but how will the circuit be biased?

Any help appreciated,
John

Last edited:
Thanks Nigel.

I forgot to mention that the DC output is going to be converted to binary with the help of a PIC. So a 0-5 somenthing would be preffered than a 2.5 to 5.

That is the point of my question regarding the bias. I need the circuit to work like having symmetrical supply!

Regards,
John

pikstart said:
Thanks Nigel.

I forgot to mention that the DC output is going to be converted to binary with the help of a PIC. So a 0-5 somenthing would be preffered than a 2.5 to 5.

That is the point of my question regarding the bias. I need the circuit to work like having symmetrical supply!

That's EXACTLY what I gave you, the output will be from 0-1023, but it represents -2.5V to +2.5V, with 0V input represented by 511/512 (assuming using a 10 bit A2D) - which is what you need.

hi pikstart,
There are devices for displaying 'bar graphs'.

**broken link removed**

Also the LM3915 log type for audio levels

Thank both.

Nigel, I was thinking just 0-5 for the analog signal. Yes, you are absolutely right about that. Sorry for the trouble.

Ericgibbs, I know that chips, but for the project under discussion, I need to display the values to an LCD (4x20) along with other values (+5, +24, +48 and the audio as a bar-graph).

Regards,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back