Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Skype cam detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezaxis

My boss is getting ideas... and that's always a bad thing. The rumors are that he is considering hidden cameras monitoring a common area used by employees.

Current intel indicates a preference for a Skype web cam (infrared, motion sensitive and audio capable) x-mitting wirelessly to his access point/router then wirelessly to his computer in a secure location, then the resultant AVI files wirelessly sent back to the access point/router and then through a LAN to a cable company modem, to automatically be up-linked to a remote server at very frequent intervals.

We don't like it. I don't like it. No sovereign human being with a shred of dignity should like it, or stand for it.

I want to detect the presence of this gear and defeat it. Note that I didn't write the word "destroy." I want to detect upon entry and disable operation for the duration of my stay.

This area contains the chargers for multiple company cell phones which are on all the time and has many 277VAC fluorescent fixtures, and several continuously running PC's. Everyone that enters uses a personal cell phone too.

Help a brother. If you can very specifically describe it, I can make it real.

Take a picture of the room from the POV of the camera and print it out. Hang this picture in front of the camera. ;)

I want to detect the presence of this gear and defeat it. Note that I didn't write the word "destroy." I want to detect upon entry and disable operation for the duration of my stay.

What happens when your boss finds out you deliberately defeated his security system?

He will think you have something to hide. DO YOU have something to hide? If not, what is the problem? Security cameras are EVERYWHERE these days. I think it is a very good idea. Many times security cameras are responsible for arresting criminals, especially violent ones.

Best thing to do is leave it alone. After all, the boss is in charge and you are not. IF you really have a problem with this, discuss it with your boss or QUIT and get another job.

My boss is getting ideas... and that's always a bad thing. The rumors are that he is considering hidden cameras monitoring a common area used by employees.

Current intel indicates a preference for a Skype web cam (infrared, motion sensitive and audio capable) x-mitting wirelessly to his access point/router then wirelessly to his computer in a secure location, then the resultant AVI files wirelessly sent back to the access point/router and then through a LAN to a cable company modem, to automatically be up-linked to a remote server at very frequent intervals.

We don't like it. I don't like it. No sovereign human being with a shred of dignity should like it, or stand for it.

This area contains the chargers for multiple company cell phones which are on all the time and has many 277VAC fluorescent fixtures, and several continuously running PC's. Everyone that enters uses a personal cell phone too.

Help a brother. If you can very specifically describe it, I can make it real.
Jokes apart, the simple practical and harmless thing to do is to use mask / veil / burqua. Have you not seen this simple trick used by hold up artists on TV ?
Get one with your boss's face on it for better results.

Even if you...

- Put a huge 2.4 Ghz transmitter to mask the signal
- Record a video of you and your mates working, intercept the suvileance signal and replace it :D
- Hot glue Bill's picture (hahaha)
- Or set a Magnetron inside the office (please don't! burnt corneas expected)

They will notice that and replace the cam with a new / embedded one. And sure, your "fellow" mates will betray you (as aaaaalways happen when party's over), and then you're fired.

Last edited:
What type of common area is being monitored? Is the monitoring to provide security or prevent theft? What is the undesirable activity that needs to be curtailed?

There was a similar thread here about a year ago where the fellow wanted to spoof his cellular GPS phone. Guess he missed his afternoon naps.

These work quite well.....I used to work for the company that builds them!

Spy Finder Hidden Camera Detector - Great Gifts for Her!

Once you know where the cameras are, then you can have fun!

Think about it......the boss thinks he has cameras that no one knows about.

Do something anonymous that makes him know that his camera isn't hidden anymore.

Leave anonymous messages to everyone telling them where the cameras are!

Use your imagination!.....this is a great oppurtunity to get back at the establishment!

Last edited:
I guess I'm the one that made this a political thread. For that I apologize.

Nunya pretty much sums it up for any one that feels the need to ask "why?"

If you have to ask why then this thread will have nothing to offer you. Go read something else.

For the others with more serious responses to my request, I thank you.

"DO YOU have something to hide? If not, what is the problem?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back