Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMART CARD? does anyone hav idea on how to make this? pls. h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SMART CARD? does anyone hav idea on how to make this? pl

berx said:
does anyone hav idea on how to make this? pls. h :)

It's simply a processor on a plastic card, with a limited number of contacts to the chip (power, ground, clock, reset, and some I/O lines), the processor type depends on the particular card, but some use PIC's - often there's also an EEPROM memory chip on board as well.

The PIC based ones cunningly provide the I/O lines that are used for programming, so you can program it via the card connector - presumably other cards are similar?.

thanks for the info nigel...we are planning to have a project study using this device...can you help us in gathering more information about this?

berx said:
thanks for the info nigel...we are planning to have a project study using this device...can you help us in gathering more information about this?

I can only suggest you study manufacturers datasheets for smart cards they manufacture - be aware that they all tend to be completely different, except for the common connections on the card. For instance, the smart cards used for access to the UK digital satellite service (Sky Television) uses a card with both a processor and an ASIC in the card - to further reduce the chance of piracy.

I would expect you will only be able to get information on a limited number of cards?, most probably won't be available for security reasons.

i think that would be a complicated one...actually im looking for an innovative and useful project for our project study...which can be economical also...can you give me some idea? ....that would be a great help...

berx said:
i think that would be a complicated one...actually im looking for an innovative and useful project for our project study...which can be economical also...can you give me some idea? ....that would be a great help...

EVERYBODY! wants innovative ideas, they are hard to come by, as it's YOUR study it's something YOU need to come up with.

well then, thanks for the BIG HELP! you know part of having a good idea is listening and askng other people perceptions also....

berx said:
well then, thanks for the BIG HELP! you know part of having a good idea is listening and askng other people perceptions also....

I suggest you try searching these forums, and seeing the hundreds of identical requests from other students.

Eh Berx,
Check out the siliconchip website as they did a smart card programming kit back in 2004. Mob's like jaycar and alltronics have done a kit and ICprog is the software used to program the board.

Cheers Bryan :D

Hiya Berx,
Here is the kit I was talking about **broken link removed**. They also sell the smart cards aswell and have a special on the gold wafer card this month for only $7.95. I suggest you grab one of these kits and have a play with the gold card as it's the cheapest way into smart cards for a novice.

Cheers Bryan :D

actually, im researching about smart cards..im planning to hav this as my project study...but i will not really make a smart card but rather create sumthing which will have d same function as a smart card..im plannng that it wil become an identification card..if the card wud be detected automatically d profile of d person will apear on d pc. d funciton wud be limited only 2 that area..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back