Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS Buck Regulator Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

SMPS Buck Regulator Experiences?

Does anyone have experience using any of the Buck regulator ICs available?

I'm interested in using something like the 1 amp' Micrel MIC4575 and the 3 amp' MIC4576 devices for distributing "cool" regulation along the length of a signboard matrix of 8x8 LED modules.

I'd also like to design and build a miniature plug-in 7805 replacement like the one Futz showed us recently for my assorted projects. I'm hoping I can build a few of them for much less then the $14-$18 price tag of the manufactured units.

My questions concern sourcing low esr capacitors and low profile power inductors.

Mike

smps-buck-regulator-png.21093

Attachments

• smps buck regulator.PNG
    smps buck regulator.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 14,202
Last edited:
I have used the MC33167. It's cheap and can be configured as buck or buck/boost. I am using it for a 12 to 28 volt supply at 5 A with no problems. Do need heat sink. John

Edit: Had to get it from Mouser.

Last edited:
hi Mike,
I have used the LT1074CT and the LM2577ADJ switchers, with no problems.

Why are you asking.? :)

Hi Eric and jpanhalt,

My questions concern sourcing low esr capacitors and low profile power inductors. I'd like to make these as small as possible while still running 'cool' at 1 amp.

Mike

Last edited:
Based on my experience, the MC33167 should be barely warm at 1A. I get by without one at 3A and resistive load. It is warm, but not real hot. John

Hi John,

Did you use the TO-220 package with heat sink or mounted to PCB? Or, did you use D2PAK with certain number of square millimeter copper sink area?

Mike

I used the TO-220 case mounted vertically and a small, individual heatsink to conserve space. John

Ok, I think I'm all set guys.

I've found the four parts I need to build and test a through hole version of the 5 volt 1 amp' regulator for about $2.95 at Mouser (two low-ESR caps', Schottky diode, and 68 uh power inductor).

Thanks guys...

Mike

Also from mouser, 1.5A buck switcher from STM, L4962/A. Works pretty good, but ended up with giant low esr electrolytics and torroid inductor, and little under $10 in parts. Mind sharing your choices for caps and inductor? Thanks.

If I understand correctly the 200 KHz switching frequency allows us to use smaller inductors and capacitors but layout and connections becomes critically important. MIC4575 Data Sheet

smps-buck-regulator-png.21093

I wanted capacitors which were physically the same size so I modified the values a bit. Capacitance values are a bit higher but the input voltage is reduced to a maximum of about 20 volts. I'm hoping this will be fine for the laptop power bricks I use on my projects, none of which are more then 16 volts output.

Here's what I think I'd like to order unless you folks have other suggestions/considerations;

Mike

Code:
Mouser

[FONT=Courier New]D1 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MBR360RLGvirtualkey58410000virtualkey863-MBR360RLG"]863-MBR360RLG[/URL]       MBR360 Schottky, 3a     ONsemi   0.30 ea
L1 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=18R683Cvirtualkey58010000virtualkey580-18R683C"]580-18R683C[/URL]         68 uh, 1.35a, radial    Murata   1.42 ea
C1 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=140-ESRL25V330-RCvirtualkey21980000virtualkey140-ESRL25V330-RC"]140-ESRL25V330-RC[/URL]   330 uf, 25wvdc, radial  Xicon    0.62 ea
C2 [URL="https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=140-ESRL16V470-RCvirtualkey21980000virtualkey140-ESRL16V470-RC"]140-ESRL16V470-RC[/URL]   470 uf, 16wvdc, radial  Xicon    0.61 ea
---------------------------------------------------------------
Digikey
U1 MIC4575             Regulator, TO-220-5     Micrel   3.26 ea
[/FONT]

Last edited:
hi Mike,
Whats the 'dc' resistance of the L1 68µH inductor.?

Hi Eric,

Data Sheet says 0.07 ohms.

That sounds OK, reason for asking is that some of the smaller inductors can have a highish resistance,
which you dont want in a swpsu.:)

Last edited:
Eric (and all),

Thanks for the tips. Micrel just notified me that samples are in the post so I guess I better order those other items.

Would anyone be interested in updates as I build and test smps regulator prototypes?

Mike

Does anyone have experience using any of the Buck regulator ICs available?
My questions concern sourcing low esr capacitors and low profile power inductors.

Mike
I am fond of the LM3485. It takes more parts but is much more flexible and inherently stable.

I ignore their recommendations and use a 10uF ceramic cap with a 22m series resistor and a 15uH inductor to get 12-25V in and 5V out. It uses more parts but accept for the external FET and diode they are all piddly little passives.

I am actually using the similar parts to get a very low power 3.3V out.

Last edited:
Uber',

Thanks for the info'. I'll definitely check it out.

I'm really just looking for a "cheap" replacement for 3.3v and 5v linear regulators that overheat on a few projects that draw more than a couple hundred milliamps (from my 12-15 volt power supply bricks).

Mike

Well lets see.... at digikey $1.56 for the chip, $0.40 for the diode, $0.60 for the PFET, $0.86 for the inductor, and $0.60 each for the input and output 10uFs (unfortunately they are making you get 10 at a time :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back