SMPS Question: Volt-uS derating for inductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

Hey guys,

This is a somewhat technical power electronics question. I'm designing the LC output filter for a PWM audio amplifier. I'm trying to pick an appropriate inductor. I'm looking for at least 100W output into any load (4 or 8 ohm nominal). The device I'm using is the TAS5261 output stage with the TAS5518C modulator from TI.

Switching frequency is 384KHz. Voltage is (up to) 50V for an H-bridge into the load (BTL bridge tied load). I am looking at the DR127 series inductors from Digikey since they are easily available.

Digi-Key - 513-1037-1-ND (Coiltronics/Div of Cooper/Bussmann - DR127-100-R)

I am not sure if it is suitable however. Could someone show/explain/give me a link to help me understand how to properly derate an inductor in this application?

Also, does anyone know if this style inductor is as well shielded as a good toroid? Is it significantly better? Any help in the EMI area as far as inductor construction is appreciated too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's probably not as well shielded as a shielded toroid. Vs an unshielded toroid...I would think that's totally up to how it's designed.

I read somewhere that the maximum frequency that should be going through a transformer is 125% of the SRF. Current-wise, for DC-DC converters a I read that a good rule of thumb is that the peak current is 50ish percent of the saturation RMS current- but the datasheet provides some Inductance vs Current graphs so you can just use those and pick a point you like.

As For Volt-Seconds, why don't you just use the core loss derating graph at the very very bottom of the datasheet? I think you just take your maximum pulse on-time and multiply it by the PWM ON voltage to get Volt-Seconds.

Last edited:
If your volt-seconds are higher than what is shown on the datasheet, then expect some more core losses - the listed volt-seconds represent a core loss that is 10% of the losses. The main thing you want to do is to make sure that you aren't saturating the inductor at any point - that includes DC and peak ripple current.

The shielding on those inductors is good.

think you just take your maximum pulse on-time and multiply it by the PWM ON voltage to get Volt-Seconds.

I think this is what I need to figure out. So it's just voltage across the inductor multiplied by ~1.3uS for a 384khz pwm rate? If that is the case, I think I am well in excess of what it can do with 50V supply. Dangit. No surprise, it's a good bit smaller than the other inductors I am looking at, so I am probably saturating it.

If somebody would stock the inductor that TI used in their eval board (Toko C3B-A0336) I would just buy that.

Last edited:
Have you checked out Coilcraft? THey seem to have a lot of weird and wonderful inductors.

Wow, Coilcraft's site has an awesome loss calculator program for all of their inductors! I just enter the series, the value, the frequency, Irms and Ipk-pk, and it gives me all the power losses (core, DCR, whatnot). Sweetness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…