Software for designing flowcharts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravix

Up until now I've been drawing out flow-charts for my software on paper before working.

Does anyone know of any software that is intended for engineering flowcharts?

Powerpoint/Word are both a pain and I haven't found anything I love online yet.

SmartDraw is nice too. You can go to www.smartdraw.com and check the examples.

MS PowerPoint and the OpenOffice equivalent (free) will also work. It all depends on what you are used to, how much money you want to spend, and how often you will use it. John

hi,
You can buy clear plastic templates for most flow charts and programming aids.

I find a using a template with pencil and a sheet of paper works just fine.

You can always scan your finished work into the PC if required,

Does anyone know of any software that is intended for engineering flowcharts?

FWIW, when I took Comp Sci courses I learned, among other things, that you're supposed to avoid flowcharts by using extremely well-commented code, written so that six months from now you'll completely understand those comments.

You also might want to look at
https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-R...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220973677&sr=1-1
There is S/W that implements the ideas in this book.

Last edited:

Flowcharts drive me crazy--for code maintenance, I wouldn't really use them--commented code, and even better, *clear* code is more readable to me.

But when I need to explain something to my boss, code is not gonna cut it, no matter how well-commented. That's just not what he does. Flowcharts, he understands.

Different tools for different purposes.

Torben

Last edited:

Evening Torben,
I agree with the need for flow charts when you have a client/boss in the project.

Some clients insist on a flow chart to be included as part of project submission/proposal/quotation.

As we both know, the program itself is only a part of an actual commercial project and it has to be integrated into the complete system.

Dont you ever sleep.?

Evening Torben,
I agree with the need for flow charts when you have a client/boss in the project.

Some clients insist on a flow chart to be included as part of project submission/proposal/quotation.

Absolutely--I feel that flowcharts tend to be more of a beginning-of-the-project thing, mostly so everybody can get on the same page with regard to what actions/decisions need to be taken in response to certain inputs or states. Once the spec' is hammered out and nailed down then other tools come to the forefront.

Dont you ever sleep.?

Oh yes. Just not so much this week. Lots happening.

Torben

Last edited:
notwithstanding the need for charts and pretties for bosses and clients, flow charts can be amazingly helpful between the brainstorming phase and the code writing phase. they help to simplify logic and it's easy to identify early on where code repetition can be combined and decision paths can be streamlined.

Absolutely. Still more of a pre-code rather than post-code tool though. I know that some code houses like to go to the extreme of having a full UML spec drawn out and verified before moving to code. Not all environments offer that kind of time frame, though.

That said, once you're done the code, better make sure that the flowcharts and other docs match what the code is actually doing.

Torben

that'd be additional "features" added after the flowchart was made

Oh yeah, that does happen, and not only in Dilbert.

"Um. . .hi guys. I met with the clients yesterday and I might have told them that the product can also do your tax return, launch the Space Shuttle, and core apples. Can that be in the demo by tomorrow?"

Torben

But when I need to explain something to my boss, code is not gonna cut it, no matter how well-commented.

Good point. I never did programming for pay so I never got to the point of having to explain it to others.
The CS courses did probably help get me a job in the USPTO (a mixed blessing).

This probably dates me . . .

When I was learning to program in the mid- to late-1960s, I was taught to flowchart first as a way to define the specific approach I was going to use.

I still do this, with pencil and clear plastic template. (I have several; two of them are so old they say "UNIVAC" on them.)

I can recall many instances where my flowchart effort made it obvious that something I thought would work would in fact not work, and other instances where the exercise of flowcharting made obvious a simpler, more elegant piece of coding.

Still, it isn't everyone's cup of chai. As a wise man once said, "There are more ways to roast a pig than by burning the house down."

I think it's still excellent advice and I wouldn't advise anybody *not* to learn it and do it. It's just one of those chores I don't care so much for. I think it has to do with the fact that in university in the early '90s I was chomping at the bit to get to the code; the classes in (what would later evolve into) UML were hard to sit through. I guess I hadn't yet figured out that the coding is a lot more fun when it has a reasonable chance of actually working.

As you say, flowcharting can wring things out that would be hard to spot just staring at page after page of code.

Still, it isn't everyone's cup of chai. As a wise man once said, "There are more ways to roast a pig than by burning the house down."

True.

Torben

well if you want a programmed flowchart i-e something that actually works than i suggest Simulink although it is very expensive.

PS: i used microsoft visio and found it to be too crude but you do get a lot options like blocks etc.

Let me see, when was the last time I used a flowchart. Believe it or not it was about 2 months ago when using multiple DS1820s and so I needed to implement the search rom algorithm. This algorithm is rather complex but Maxim provide a flowchart (See page 5 of AN162) and this enabled me to implement the algorithm in assembler without too many headaches. I think what I am saying is I find it much easier to write code when I have a correct flowchart.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…