Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software for designing flowcharts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me see, when was the last time I used a flowchart. Believe it or not it was about 2 months ago when using multiple DS1820s and so I needed to implement the search rom algorithm. This algorithm is rather complex but Maxim provide a flowchart (See page 5 of AN162) and this enabled me to implement the algorithm in assembler without too many headaches. I think what I am saying is I find it much easier to write code when I have a correct flowchart.

Mike.

It's certainly not very easy when you have an incorrect flowchart. :) Being able to tell the difference is invaluable.

Torben

FWIW, when I took Comp Sci courses I learned, among other things, that you're supposed to avoid flowcharts by using extremely well-commented code, written so that six months from now you'll completely understand those comments.

Even better: Comments so well-written that, if you get hit by a truck tomorrow, someone else, six months from now, can completely understand what you've done, and how. ;)

When I was a college undergraduate, there were no Comp Sci courses. There were exactly two one-semester courses in programming: One in FORTRAN, one in COBOL; and neither were required. If you were majoring in the sciences or engineering, you took FORTRAN--if you wanted to.

In fact, when I arrived as a freshman at the University of Wyoming, it had just received as a gift and installed a brand-new Philco 2000 (yep, the Philco division of Ford :eek:) for its computer center, which was in the basement of the College of Commerce and Industry building.

For me, the three important skills for good programming are:

1. Flowcharting
2. Detailed comments
3. Liberal use of subroutines

neither were required.

And no credit for them, either.

The comp room was a madhouse, punched cards flying through the air, three deep at the counter waiting for their output, and one look was enough for me.
I never learned Fortran or Cobol, but I might still be able to do something in Pascal or BASIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back