Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solenoid for electronic exhaust cutouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratrodtaylor

so i want to put exhaust cutouts on my car but want them to be electronic so i can flip a swith and open the valve all the way or just a little or close them. now i know of two companies that make these kits you can buy but at a pretty rediculous price for how simple it would be to make your own. quick time performance (QTP) and dmh if it helps you understand what i'm trying to do here is a link Dual Oval Electric Cutout Kit
but anyway i basically need a 12volt DC solenoid or motor that will be able to with stand the heat that will be radiating off of my exhaust pipe or if i can help deflect the heat away from it that would work also. anyone know of anything or anywhere i could get one?

Looking at the images they use a gear motor rather than a solenoid and what looks to be a gate valve body type design. The use of a solenoid would give you open or closed and likely no in between. Anyway, assuming you had all the other related hardware like a flapper valve body you would need to then calculate the stroke (travel) of your solenoid. The use of a solenoid has limitations in a project like this.

As to a 12 volt DC solenoid? There are plenty out there. I have no clue as to your location so suggesting a supplier gets difficult but if you start here you will see a variety of linear solenoids that can be ordered DC 12 Volt powered. Get familiar with the types and their duty cycles. There are quite a few types. Note temperature ranges and remember heat will migrate.

You may also want to look at linear gear motors.

Ron

hey thanks ya after posting this i found that they were using a gear motor as well i would prefer to be able to control how open it was. so if anyone would be able to suggest a website or something that might have one that would be awesome. ya thats what i'm mostly worried about is the heating traveling through all the pieces into the motor. :( so i need something with metal gears inside for sure and preferably a metal housing or high temp abs might even work.

You could also remotely locate the actuator and use s simple cable mechanism similar to a common choke cable to move the valve.

The other option is to use a vacuum actuator from a used cruise control unit and just vary the movement that way. They use two solenoids to either add or release the vacuum inside them so by using a double acting center off switch you can effectively regulate how far it travels.

A 12V gearmotor to a spool that, through a cable, remotely drives a larger spool on the exhaust gate. Look at how old stereos did their tuners from the flywheel to the variable capacitor. Google "windlass".

A DPDT switch through a polyfuse (for current limiting @ endpoints) to open/close.

It'd be a fun project, Good Hunting on it... <<<)))

ya it's more the sound that i'm going for although flowmaster's super 44 does have a very nice aggressive sound that i like alot, but i would really prefer to have it loud and quiet when i want it. hmm that windlass idea is a good thought that i hadn't really looked at. i'll have to look at if i can find a small one available and how much the cost would be.

Go to any BMW dealer and see if you can get some used mufflers off a 335 (or other BMW, but these are common). They have a valve after the muffler. They can rattle at certain engine RPM's. Some customers don't notice, some do. The ones that complain get new mufflers, meaning they will be throwing out lots of old ones.

They are operated off a spring loaded vacuum actuated diaphragm. Full vacuum closes the valve, no vacuum opens. It would be very easy to use a PWM solenoid (like an EGR solenoid) to control the vacuum, and therefore the amount it's open.

Much easier, IMO, than using a motor and having to figure out where the motor is at.

wow that is definitely the easiest design i have seen. that helps a lot and saves me a lot. i think that would definitely be the best way to go so far. thanks adamey

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back