Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony Bravia goes into standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butchie74

My son has a Sony Bravia Model KDL-40S200. When he turns it on it displays a picture for about 2 seconds and goes into standby. Then the L.E.D. flashes 4 times. He called a local Sony service center and they want $120.00 just to look at it. Said it could be the vertical board. Does anyone have information to troubleshoot further and narrow it down more. I would hate to purchase a vertical board and not resolve the problem. Thanks!

I hope it's not an HD ready model.

Usually SMPS problems I hope, not sure. $120 for just looking onto it? unbelievable!

Sorry for not being informed on this since it is my Sons t.v. but what does SMPS stand for? I haven't looked at his manual yet. Been busy remodeling my bathroom. Thanks for your reply!

Sorry for not being informed on this since it is my Sons t.v. but what does SMPS stand for? I haven't looked at his manual yet. Been busy remodeling my bathroom. Thanks for your reply!

SMPS = Switching Mode Power Supply

This symptom could likely have many causes. There is a regular in these forums called TV Tech I believe and he could likely shed a better guess than some of us. Hopefully he will see this thread and be attracted to it like a moth to a light on a summer evening. :)

I have a 52" Sony Bravia and it has performed flawlessy for over a year now. I do maintain warranty insurance on it as I hate expensive surprises.

Ron

Reloadron, Thanks for your input. I will wait a little and if I don't hear anything I will look for the TV Tech forum. I am kind of new to this website so I'm still learning! Thanks again.

Hi Guys

The Bravia is LCD I believe. I have little experience on LCD sets. I have worked 99% of the time on conventional CRT sets that we have in abundance here in Africa.

So without guessing I would say though that a good starting point would still be the SMPS (common to all Color TV's regardless of screen technology or type) as the guys mentioned above. Check out the SMPS board for any evidence of swollen capacitors that have a slight bulge on the top. Or worst case have burst open on the top. It's a visible check that requires no instruments or tools. If you find any report back here and we will see if we can help you through the next step of actually removing and replacing them.

And that is all I can help with right now.

Cheers guys

tvtech
Thanks for the info. I'll look to see if there are any dried up caps that would cause a problem. I too have worked on many crt televisions so I have a bit of experience with them. Haven't worked on many lcd sets as this one is. Will let you know what I find.

LCD and Plasma are both very expensive to purchase and fix when they go faulty. Hence, don't see many of them here.

CRT sets we still fault find boards (now days normally only one board that completes the chassis). And replace individual components that are faulty. The LCD and Plasma is another issue altogether from what I have seen. Many separate boards, many SMD components etc.

Tech's don't fault find anymore....they simply replace boards until the thing works. And that is expensive.

Good luck man.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying! That is the way of the world. No longer do they want you to repair them. You replace complete boards. It may be quicker but is not cheaper. SMD components are so small that you nee a magnifying glass to just see them let alone replace them. Thanks for you feedback though.

The thing is now SONY(like others) also manufacturing lots of electronics in their China divisions( cheaply ). So now everybody uses cheap quality components inside regardless of the brandnames.

What hurts the most is that the whole world is following the example set by China.
Quality products just don't exist anymore. All about churning out as much as possible for the least cost...

Bah.

Last edited:
I don't recognise that model number, so can't check the error code (they aren't all the same), but four flashes is often an error from the LCD panel. It could well be the inverter at fault, as this is part of the panel - although some of them have been made available separately from Sony spares. Some inverters have tiny surfacemount fuses on them, and failure of that will cause the LCD error code - but there's no circuit for the inverter, it's NOT a Sony part (it's bought-in as part of the LCD panel).

As for cheap components, Sony don't really use them, at least not in Europe - so you don't get the duff electrplytic problems that beset the cheaper brands.

Finally got a chance to look at my sons t.v.yesterday. Did not notice any bad caps visually. The set runs for a few minutes then it goes black and standby light flashes four times. Once it goes off the power supply goes out. Must be a safety circuit that shuts it down. So I have no way of looking for one of the power supplies going bad. Before it goes out all the supplies look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back