Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound to LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey guys i have seen plenty of people connect leds and such to radios so when the bass hits the led lights up... i have a theory i want to ask

I know nothing of sound... is sound AC or DC?
I know a PIC can use ADC to record sound... now instead of recording how about have a POT and the pot sets a variable ... called MinLevel

would it be safe to assume a high number is bass on incomming data from ADC ? like if a 0x03FF (10 bits) is read from ADC thats full bass?

If so then can we using the pot control a level to match or exceed to light led? like

If MinLevel >= ADCinput Level then light led? this way we can adjust how high or low the led should respond to?

Do you understand this at all? :D

heh , this one is personal ... its for my wife... she is funding it heh... she wants to see if i can do it.. i came up with that theory but just wanted to know if it sounds do-able :D Im not asking for code, but just if it may be possible doing it the way i said. If so then ill get started on it, if not ill work on a alternate method heh...

I like working on many things at 1 time... i find that it is easier to learn and incorporate other things into one if need be.

Hey guys i have seen plenty of people connect leds and such to radios so when the bass hits the led lights up... i have a theory i want to ask

I know nothing of sound... is sound AC or DC?
I know a PIC can use ADC to record sound... now instead of recording how about have a POT and the pot sets a variable ... called MinLevel

would it be safe to assume a high number is bass on incomming data from ADC ? like if a 0x03FF (10 bits) is read from ADC thats full bass?

If so then can we using the pot control a level to match or exceed to light led? like

If MinLevel >= ADCinput Level then light led? this way we can adjust how high or low the led should respond to?

Do you understand this at all? :D

Sound (at least music) is AC composed of many different frequencies.

I think what you're referring to is what we used to call "color organs". What you need to do is run the music through filters and check the amplitude at the output of each filter. If you want the LED to light when you have a lot of bass, you have to decide what is a lot and what is bass -- what frequency range. Design a filter for that (I used to use cheap LM324 op amps) and monitor the output of the filter. When the output goes above your MinLevel, light the led.

I built a couple of these years ago. They were three channel (high, medium and low) and used opto-couplers to control triacs to light AC lamps.

I'm sure someone would be able to tell you how to do a nifty digital filter so you don't have to use the op-amps.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back