speaker cabinet cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

I have made a diy speaker cabinet. I have got a problem about the materials normally used to cover the face of speakers cabinet let the sound to passes through. I want the speaker cone not to be visible via the cover. Any idea please?

Thank a lot

You used to be able to buy speaker grille fabric by the yard. Don't know if it's still available. Any loose-weave fabric should do though. Perforated metal sheet is another option (but needs to be mounted carefully to avoid unwanted resonances).
If it's a bass unit, rather than a full-range unit, plastic foam sheet could be used without suffering significant attenuation.

I plan to use this on my next project towards the end of the year. I'll use magnets to secure the frames though.

**broken link removed**

They sell grill cloth too.

Thanks guys,
2 questions:
Is there any difference if I use the cutton/fabric or metal grills for this job?
Is the hole size/hole diameters of the grils important too? Is'nt there any relationship between the grill diamtere and the wavelength/frequency of the ouput sound?

thanks

Is there any difference if I use the cutton/fabric or metal grills for this job?
What sort of difference? Acoustic? Mechanical? ....
Is the hole size/hole diameters of the grils important too?
Clearly the lower the ratio of material (cloth fibre / metal) to air the lower the sound attenuation.
Is'nt there any relationship between the grill diamtere and the wavelength/frequency of the ouput sound?
?? The grille is usually rectangular, hiding a circular speaker. It is the speaker size (diameter) which is the main determinant of the audio spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…