spindle motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior-J

i just opened my old floppy drive and there is a spindle motor i think, it is with static magnet rotor.
it got 4 input wires, and i don't know how to connect it with power supply
i really need this motor and it's slow rotation speed plz help me with some schematic how to make it spin ...

The spindle motor is not a stepper but usually a polyphase motor driven by some circuitry that's messier than a DC source. In a 5.25" floppy, the head positioning is done by a stepper. On hard drives, spindle drive is similar but head drive is via a "voice coil" circuit for faster speed.

The floppy spindle should be a brushless DC motor, with the controller right on the board.

A good photo of the motor board and the main floppy board where the two are connected together would help us identify the connection. It should be easy.

These motors are Brushless DC motors. These are found in almost all modern CD/DVD drives,floppy drives,hard disc drives and i also found their large sized versions in some VCR/VCP,s. They are not very easy to get them working. One way could be using their genuine driver from the same device where they are salvaged.
The other thing is the hall effect sensors used in these motors for controlling their speed and positioning.These sensors are almost always placed under the main rotor.Opening these motors requires some careful use of tools.
There are a large number of driver Ic,s manufactured by many Semiconductor companies like Philips, ROHM etc. But the problem is that every motor may not be used with same driver IC, their size, number of windings,types on windings, hall effect sensor types may require specific Driver IC. I ones tried to use same type of motor without connecting its sensors to a micro controller with a little success. The motor spin in a crazy fashion with a lot of stalling and required a push with finger to start it. Both the driver board and motor itself got hot quickly. So i never tried this type of motor again. But there are some project on the Internet involving brush-less DC motors from different drives. Remember every such motor may not be used with same interface/ Driver board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…