Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square wave conversion thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
For without external adjustment, as I am thinking of testing with. The sine wave distortion is then becomes the sine waves harmonics. For with external adjustment, I can reduce the harmonics or 'distortion' but am i able to increase it?

A single XR2206 can play a single frequency. It can be a square-wave, a triangle-wave, a pretty good sine-wave or a fuzzy sine-wave (higher distortion).
It turns on and off abruptly like a car's horn, not with the particular attack time, sustain time and fall time of the waveform shape of a musical instrument.

It plays only one frequency so chords cannot be played.

I intend to build something of a small prototype, maybe 4 or five notes, and put a three position switch to change between triangle, sine and square wave. I haven't ordered through the internet before but I think I can get them here:

**broken link removed**

A single XR2206 can play a single frequency. It can be a square-wave, a triangle-wave, a pretty good sine-wave or a fuzzy sine-wave (higher distortion).
It turns on and off abruptly like a car's horn, not with the particular attack time, sustain time and fall time of the waveform shape of a musical instrument.

It plays only one frequency so chords cannot be played.

Yes, I agree attack and decay would be zero, but perhaps an illusion of attack and decay can be created with a voltage controlled amp and a ramp type circuit controlling it. Also he could use multiple Frequency sources (XR chips) to form more complex notes. By far this will not be polyphonic, but may be fun just to build anyways.

My suggestion is this. Before you order any parts, decide what functionality you want to have in your musical device. Determine if you have the ability to acheive these functions with your knowledge.
develop a good functional block diagram of what you want to do.
Once you have your block diagram, then start your parts search, and create schematics.

Last edited:
My suggestion is this. Before you order any parts, decide what functionality you want to have in your musical device. Determine if you have the ability to acheive these functions with your knowledge.
develop a good functional block diagram of what you want to do.
Once you have your block diagram, then start your parts search, and create schematics.

I have a couple of draft block diagrams, and what exactly by functionality?

About 10 years ago a cheap little electronic organ cost about $2.00 and it sounded pretty good.

About 15 years ago an electronic keyboard (I got my kids a Casio one) had many musical intrument sounds and sounded great.

Sometimes ya just got to build it, Why? Because damn it!

BTW my Yamaha Keys cost $2K around 8yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back