Stereo "project..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are going to need a 12v power supply with at least 600va or 600 watts to handle the amp, from what you have shown thus far.

If there is any info on the amp regarding input CURRENT or AMPERAGE that would solve most problems with what power supply to use.

They likely "embellished" the 600W at most companies seem to.

Hi

Great idea!!!

You could easily convert an old ATX computer power supply. I did one last week, it was a very old one, but it could put out 12v at 15A. If you could hook up 2 or 3 in parallel maybe that would be enough.

Tom

Last edited:
They are switching power supplies - they cannot be put in parallel.

Please don't try - they will fail, possibly with fire/explosion.

Last edited:
Try to get the correct RMS power of the subwoofer amp or which is the part used inside. 600W seems big power and need a costlier and dedicated PSU if used outside.

I think some server SMPS can be tried out(not recommended).

You will likely want one of those big 1Farad caps, as a standard powersupply (SMPS particular) cant keep up with the load changes of the amp.

The cap will give the amp a "pond to drink from" while the power supply is catching up.

The speaker is rated for 900 Peak phoney Whats or 300 Watts RMS. It has two voice coils and no detailed spec's because it is very cheap.
One store says it is only 2 ohms so maybe each voice coil is 4 ohms?

The stereo amplifier is rated for 300W max per channel. "Max" power is usually phoney Whats that could be 2 times or 3 times the actual RMS Watts. There is no detailed datasheet for the amplifier. So it might drive each voice coil of the speaker with 50 Watts to 75 Watts for a total of 100 Watts to 150 Watts.

Here's a TDA2822M based ' 340Whats computer speaker'!

Specs listed as follows:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Power Output : 340 PMPO[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frequency Response : 200Hz~18KHz[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Output Impedance : 4 ohm
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RMS : 3 W x 2[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right now I'm waiting for the arrival of my new Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II review - Multimedia reviews - TrustedReviews BTW .I'll sometimes try to put a small review on it here in terms of audio quality whether it is exaggerated or not.

[/FONT]

The little woofers in a Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II are only 4" in diameter. They might produce 100Hz well but 50Hz will be at a reduced level.

The little woofers in a Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II are only 4" in diameter. They might produce 100Hz well but 50Hz will be at a reduced level.

They aren't 4" I think they are 2" or 2.5" I think. A friend had a pair of these but with only one woofer per side. They sounded great at little less than normal listening then you thought I like this song it needs to be a bit louder and then you get an onslaught of awful distortion, those porr little speakers have to work very hard!

As to the original question. Buy a proper sub and amp.

You might like this. I had a friend with a electronics retail/servicing store.

Some guy came in looking for a car stereo when I was there and he only question was?

1. How many Watts is this? and pointed to the various items.

They aren't 4" I think they are 2" or 2.5" I think.
You are correct and Creative's dimensions list the width and depth backwards.

They also sell another over-priced little speaker system called the Gigaworks T-20 SeriesII that uses only one of these tiny woofers and the same tweeter.

Gigaworks T40 review

They're 2.5" yes.

The speakers are excellent need not to say. Here are some remarks:

*) The package has a total weight of 5Kg.
*) Power supply adapter is actually a 20v ac 2.8A heavy transformer structure.
*) Speakers doesn't weigh too much as I expected, but they are.
*) It is the 'chanelled' bassXport making the low frequency response well. So the drivers can keep a balanced audio even at vocal frequencies.
*) Tweeters are exceptionally good.
*) Control knobs are plain and slippery.

The point is the low frequency has nothing much to do with the driver width it is the channeling of waves, and I strongly believe they've done it well. Even at very low volumes we can sense the bass tones just like from a sub-woofer.

Another thing I'd worry about is the bass export hole is an excellent way for cockroaches and rats those won't worry about how precious is this speakers are for me . They could have placed a mesh like structure there.

In total, you'll get an exceptional listening experience that you'll never expect from such a desktop speakers. I recommend audioguru to buy this one and feel latest technologies. How was the review

The tiny woofers cannot move enough air to make good bass. Their loudness probably drops below 100Hz so 2 octaves of bass frequencies are missing. The channeling is done with ports so the very low frequencies are reduced a lot.
They probably use "loudness compensation" which boosts low frequencies at low volume.

My pc speakers use 3" drivers with rubber surrounds and huge magnets. They drop off at about 100Hz and produce 60Hz a little. The deep bass frequencies are missing. They are not ported so the low frequencies gradually drop off.

You have cockroaches and rats? Why? Oh, you are in India.

The 10" sub-woofer in my car produces sounds down to 30Hz well. It is ported like the tiny woofers so below 30Hz it drops off quickly.

I have lived in Canada for 65 years and have never seen a cockroach.
I hear that people from your country bring them when they move here. Do they also bring rats?

1.5 million people from India are in Canada. If each one brings 30 cockroaches then the total is 45 million cockroaches.
Poor Americans also bring cockroaches.
Then the cockroaches reproduce and cause trouble. Do they fly?

I have lived in Canada for 65 years and have never seen a cockroach.
I occasionally see a cockroach crossing the sidewalk when I take a walk in the evening. But I live in southern California where it's warm. They probably freeze their little buns in Canada.

It is -6C (+21F) in my part of Canada today. With a coat, boots and gloves I can walk for about 1 hour. If it is windy then I also wear a hat that covers my ears. Other parts of Canada where nobody lives is -40 degrees C or F.
I saw some squirrels running around outside today but they wear a fur coat. I know nothing about cockroaches.

Difficult to believe because I thought that those are everywhere.

Cockroaches likes the speaker cone paper. In my college time I found around 20+ of them in a stereo speaker that I used daily. I checked it when I felt the audio quality became too bad. Applied the pesticide directly through the bass port and killed them. When opened, I could see 20+ deadbodies and a speaker skeleton with only diaphram/voice coil left.

What about lizards? Or you mean you've polar bears inside houses?

I saw lizards in Arizona, Mexico and Cuba. I can't remember if they were in Jamaica, probably not. They are in the zoo in Canada.
In the north of Canada there are polar bears but there are hardly any people there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…