Switching power supplys or chargers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkyong

Can 2 same switching power supplys or chargers (o/p=12Vdc) be connected in series in order to charge a 24Vdc battery?Is blocking diode necessary??
If yes where to place it?

If they have the (-12) connected to the earth line, the answer would be no. Also, you need more than 24V (more like 27-28V) to charge a 24V lead-acid battery.

Blocking diode won't help.

mneary said:
If they have the (-12) connected to the earth line, the answer would be no. Also, you need more than 24V (more like 27-28V) to charge a 24V lead-acid battery.

Blocking diode won't help.
Actually I want to ask whether 2 same SMPs can be connected in series or not? Thanks!

I believe that the correct answer is yes and no. Yes if you are not worried about stability and lots of smoke , but NO if the load is capacitive or variable, since the sense feedback circuits in the regulators will fight each other and oscillate since they do not have a real reference, and are using each other as voltage dividers. (you will need to create one, which will waste power!!!) Not practical.

I would not even try connect a small load to series connected SMPS, for this case, one or both would be destroyed by the Battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…