The coolest picture ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to say it, but that's nothing! I had a friend who was a tech at the local phone company. Got to go with him once and he gave me a tour of their server room for our cities incoming modem lines. It's like a library, only instead of books they're server blades. They had a Halon fire supression system as well. Like 10-15 rows at least twice as long as that single table in the image. And the racks are like 6 feet high.

And that company had money... yes?

I like home made server stuff. Really there is no use for it... My [file] server is kinda neat. (i like it anyways)

If i get around to it, i will take a pic of it, but here are the specs;

Generic (crap) motherboard (don't know the model. just found among the clutter)
PIII proc. @ 1GHz
192MB of ram
48x CD-ROM drive
7GB hard drive (contains os [xp pro] and other odds and ends)
2 40GB Maxtor Hard drives (file storage)

Once i get a RAID card, i will be able to add more space (as i will need it.)

Then, i need to get a switch (something like this);

**broken link removed**

And maybe another computer or two. Then i will be set.

That looks like my den (just with 3 kids and I sitting in front of them). And we have not went up to the kids rooms.

Now my office server room, more computers and all 1-4U rack mounts. And only 3 monitors in the room, sorry dknguyen.

Two of our tenants (ION TV and Adelphia/Comcast), they kill my server room. They have a cool setup. And YES, then have $$$$$

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
Then, i need to get a switch (something like this);

**broken link removed**

And maybe another computer or two. Then i will be set.
If that switch be a Linksys gigabit, I'd recommend you find another one - if you value your hearing. I had an 8 port version that was in a very similar case, only to find that there's a very annoying 40mm fan in those things.

Google for "linksys gigabit fan noise" - and avoid that family like the plague if it isn't going to be sealed shut in some closet somewhere.

here a very close representation of the room at my workplace. Quite a step up from a row of PC towers under a wooden bench!

**broken link removed**

mramos1 said:
That looks like my den (just with 3 kids and I sitting in front of them). And we have not went up to the kids rooms.

Care to take a picture?

hjames said:
If that switch be a Linksys gigabit, I'd recommend you find another one - if you value your hearing. I had an 8 port version that was in a very similar case, only to find that there's a very annoying 40mm fan in those things.

Yeah, i hate noise. I just used the first pic on google i found. Chances are i will get some generic pile of crap...

HiTech said:
**broken link removed**

That really doesn't look geeky. It is too organized. Cables are good. Cables are your friend.

Here are two pics of my server. Sorry the resolution and size is poor. My webcam sucks...

Tower (Full ATX)
**broken link removed**

The monitor and keyboard
**broken link removed**

Marks256,

It would have to be a panarama picture also, my wife would kill me.

I am a pack rat. hahaha.. I just received a couple thousand 555, lm339, misc TTL chips (couple of thousand of each). And spools of 2n2222, 1n4002, resistors, etc. And my wife was not happy.. And I have more coming.. My garage would be a better picture.. Only a laptop out there though.

I too am a pack rat. My basement is literally filled with boxes upon boxes of misc circuit boards, and computer components. I also have a full shead filled with crap (a few engines, and more computers... ).
I think the shead is like 8x10 or 10x12 (feet), i am not sure. There is only enough room for me to walk in.

We have an electronics product liquidation sale tomorrow our fairgrounds (I will be there) and I have to get an old car running (you will like this: a 1978 Vette), but if I get time I will take a couple of shots of the den, garage (AND I did not steal the phone booth or traffic light, they were gifts)..

I might have to PM these to you

If I have time. I have, no joke, fast count... 9 in the den alone and a weight bench that needs me to use it.

mramos1 said:
I am a pack rat. hahaha.. I just received a couple thousand 555, lm339, misc TTL chips (couple of thousand of each).

wow, where did you get so many 555s? Wanna sell a glob? I need some

Is tomorrow national liquidation sale day or what? There is a liquidation expo at the Rochester Mayo Civic Center, and chances are, i will be there (if i can con my parents into stopping... )

There has been an ad on TV; "Laptops $99, Desktops $299, Flash(jump) Drive $10, Digital cameras $29, and Software $0.99"

With any luck, i will get a few deals. Stock up on jump drives at least!

You must be stalking me... I have a stop light (literally brand new...), as well as a phone booth! It got caught by the wind a few years ago, and was ripped in half, but i think we still have MOST of it...

Andy1845C,

My son will be making up bundles of chips and selling them cheap.
There will be some stuff I will just give away. I will let you know when he is ready. There is 5000 5VDC relays, etc. Tons of stuff and more coming.

That is the same ad. Car alarms $19.95, Laptops $99, Digital cameras $29.

You must be stalking me... I have a stop light (literally brand new...), as well as a phone booth! It got caught by the wind a few years ago, and was ripped in half, but i think we still have MOST of it...

Yea, my wife wants them gone too..

mramos1 said:
Andy1845C,

My son will be making up bundles of chips and selling them cheap.
There will be some stuff I will just give away. I will let you know when he is ready. There is 5000 5VDC relays, etc. Tons of stuff and more coming.

Awsome. Shoot me a PM or somthing when hes ready to sell. I could use a few 5v relays too.

i am geting ready to purchase about 30 5volt relays my self. if there is enough for both of us let me know. actually i am working on a fairly extensive project and could probably use other stuff too.

Gaston and Andy1458c

I will get on my son to get a list. Maybe tomorrow. Also, it is 500 relays, not 5000. But the other chips and 1500 and 2000 packs. I know I saw 0ohm, 220, 330, 1K, 2K2 on rolls too. And 2n2222 roll.

pff. That liquidation sale was crap!!!!

We paid $7 to get in, and nothing was like it was advertised. The cheapest laptop i saw was $200. There were NO digital cameras, mp3 players, or jump drives. Oh, and i thought it was a "liquidation sale", not a "Jack up the price and say it was on sale!"

Ugh. what a waist of money. Didn't even see anything worth buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…