The TLC548 A/D connected to a timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

richacm

Hi,

I have a TLC548 A/D convertor and I want to pulse it every 2 minutes to convert the voltage input to the digital output.

I've set up the circuit for the timer (using a TLC555 timer) and I'm not too sure where I place the output from the timer. Do I connect it to the I/O clock or do I just need to connect it to the CS and forget about the clock?

Thanks,

Craig

It's a bit vague what you're trying to do?, can you post a circuit of what you have so far?.

But by the sound of things a PIC would make your project a LOT easier - just a single chip.

hi,
As stated already, the details you have given are vague.

The 555 clock goes to the I/O clk of the TLC548, which then clocks out the Data.
It requires /CS pulse to initiate a conversion.

How are you going to read the Data out.?

Hi, thanks for the replies. Attached is my circuit to date.

I have a pressure sensor that will take a reading and then update LED displays indicating how full a tank is. At the same time I want to take a sample of the pressure every 2 minutes. This is what the Clock and the ADC are for. The clock will fire the ADC every 2 minutes and a sample is taken. The result is to be stored in to a FIFO store which I will then connect to and get the data (a further project!).

Cheers,

Craig

Attachments

• Tank Level v4.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 273

Hi,
The /CS pin on the A2D is 'floating' on the circuit diagram, it must be controlled to initiate a conversion cycle.

OK, so after 2 minutes the clock pulses and has a high setting for 1 second. I attach this to the /CS pin to initiate the conversation.

Since the TLC548 has its own internal clock won't 8 bits of data just appear on the output - I don't need any more. Or do I need to wire to the I/O clk and cycle 8 times to get a high/low value? If this is the case can you point me to any circuits that do this...i.e. delay for X seconds and the clk Y times for Y bits of data.

Thanks for the help,

Craig

Hi Craig,
Look at the attached extract from the datasheet.

The data is clocked out by the external clock on the I/O pin
Note the required use of the /CS pin and the initiate I/O clock cycles.

Last edited:
Aha, thanks. This is going to be tricky then

hi,
I did see a circuit some time ago, which I cant relocate.

It used a 555 for the I/O clk and a 4017 ic to generate a /CS pulse every ninth clock pulse.

Why dont you look thru the PIC options.?

Wow, just ordered my PIC programmer. I forgot about these components - aren't they cool. No need for my TLC548 ADC any more either. I think I am going to do away with everything except the Pressure sensor and the op-amp. I'll replace everything else with a couple of PIC components.

Is this the forum for reviewing PIC code at all?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…