Tinnit Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I know there are easier ways to plate boards such as cool amp. I already have some TINNIT on hand and plan to use it. Would like to get as much time out of it as I can, doubt that I will use it up.

The package says the shelf life is about 6 months after mixing. Several web sites that sell it state a 2 month after mixing. Could not find the manufacturers (Datak) web site.

One way to extend the life would be to only mix up half the powder. The kit contains 2 packages which would have to be resealed after the first use. Daisy-seal-a-meal time, or maybe just small zip lock bags.

Is the liquids shelf life effected by temperature? Would refrigeration make it last longer. Keep it out of the hot garage?

I have found that a halogen work light works well at heating SP etching solution. Just enough water in the bottom of a glass bread pan to cover the board. Heating is slow. Temp starts out a room temp and reaches about 120F in the time it takes to etch a board.

Last edited:
I have kept Tinnit for well over a year in a sealed bottle in the refrigerator, and it still worked. After longer periods, it may not redissolve completely. I filtered while hot and still used it. Eventually, it wears out and you get crummy plating.

I stopped using Tinnit a couple of years ago and just went to a conformal coating. Tinnit does help soldering a little, but I have had no problems with SMDs just using a paste flux. John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…